1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DT at the U shot and killed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Yeah, well, you don't see this stuff happening at, say, Stanford.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I second the motion. It is not funny.

I just found out as I walked in from a meeting and birthday party. Elections take a back seat to this story.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hope the sarcasm font is on there.

4. D-3 Fan

Don't need one. :mad: I'm serious.

[urlhttp://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/15954555.htm[/url]

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're serious that a murder of a football player trumps an Election Day in which the Democrats are trying to wrest control of the House and Senate?

Oooooooooooooooookay.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Cadet, a Kentucky player was shot and killed about 10 years ago sitting on his front porch at his birthday party. Another was shot in the ass a year or two later.

Pulling the "You don't see this happening elsewhere" is completely irresponsible and wrong.

7. D-3 Fan

Okay, since it's going to go down like that...

Everyone can talk about the elections until they are blue in the face (no pun intended). I understand that the election is a major story. But this kid getting blasted in the head is pretty serious shit. While this kid is laying dead on slab, two of my best friends celebrate another year life.

Damn fucking right I think election night takes a temporary backseat to this story. In the end, it's people, not who is charge of Washington, Fredo, and every god damn fucking seat in Congress. I got five cousins who are in college. Not that it matters to you, one of my cousins lived next door to two girls who were stabbed to death two months ago. How the fuck I feel? Giddy because the Dems are bull-rushing the GOP into the ground or scared for her, along with many parents who have kids who end up dead by some violent act while they are in college? Yeah, people die everyday. And you have problem over how I think the election is secondary to this story. We have elections everyday, that won't change.

When I said I was serious, I was. Maybe we all need some fucking sarcasm fonts. I know you are a veteran, and I get grief, but you got your beef and I got mine.

Sorry, but that burns me and I'm not in the mood, but you have a problem with it, fine. We'll agree to disagree.

Let's keep this thread for what it is: a thread about a murder of a college student.

Moddy, you can lock this up anytime you want.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well. That was unexpected.

This isn't about me being a veteran and you not being a veteran. It's about an election that could dictate how the next two years go being a bigger story than the shooting of a college athlete.

There are elections every day? If you want to be cold about this, you can say people are killed every day too. Would you be as emotional about the murder of Jane Doe in XYZ, Arizona?

I don't file this under "people die everyday." I feel terrible for his family and teammates. I'm sure election night is secondary to them. When my grandma died of natural causes the day before Election Day 2000, election day was secondary to me too.

But on a night which will set into motion the next two years of American policy (at least), this story is secondary nationwide and, I believe, on this board. Way secondary.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I respectfully disagree. Sure, random things happen to random people. It is unfortunate this young man was killed. A few years ago a women's soccer player from Nebraska was killed. A random act of violence and I don't think it reflected poorly on the program because it was an isolated incident.

But if you took a poll and said "A DI football player has been shot, guess what school he plays for?" I guarantee that Miami would be a repeated top choice.

Schools that recruit trouble attract trouble and continue to have trouble. That's an institutional problem that lies with the people who build the programs.

No one can deny that Miami football continues to have trouble. Schools that don't recruit trouble don't have the continued problems. Isolated incidents, sure, but the pattern smacks of a lack of institutional control.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Buuuuuullshit. Kids get killed every fucking goddam day in this country. Some for no reason at all, and some for a reason. The reason this one's a big deal is because he was a college football players. The others grab about five inches in the briefs column.

Hope to God you're never an editor. I wanna see what color your publisher's face is when he comes to you asking why election coverage was bumped for the death of a college kid leaving a party.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Can not disagree more. This point was brought up on Patrick's show after the brawl. How you expect these things from Miami, and if you took a poll, blah blah blah.

Unless he was shot by another football player, I don't see how him being shot in the head in the hallway of his girlfriend's apartment has anything to do with the football program.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It's about time that someone take a long, hard look at this program. Because it happens way to frequently for it to be coincidental all of the time. WHen your Goddam coach is issuing public statements about players carrying guns (which is quite reminiscent of the assistant in "The Replacements) you have to start asking yourself just what the fuck is going on.

And the denials coming out of this institution are reminiscent of a parent that has a meth using kid that doesn't want to face reality.

"We don't have bad kids. It's just that people know that they're Miami football players and they fuck with 'em."

"Sure, Miami participated in that fight. But Florida International instigated it. What were they supposed to do? Act like Women?"

"It's just people jealous of the U."

Back in the Ralph Willard years at Pitt, fine young men like Attila Cosby and Chris Seabrooks got in trouble off the court all of the time. It wasn't because people were out to get 'em because they knew they were big time jocks. It was because these guys were first rate assclowns.

Draft saved Draft deleted