1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DSL or cable?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bill Horton, Sep 15, 2006.

1. I have DSL and I love it, mostly because it is only 17.99 a month through verizon. I will not say it's as fast as Cable or FIOS, but the speed is good enough for me, and the price is perfect.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I use cable, since I don't want to shell out extra for the phone line to hook it up. In addition to the cable, I then upgraded to cable telephone and saved an extra bundle on long-distance. Even calling across the Atlantic isn't expensive now.

3. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I have cable and have had no problems with it. I find it faster than my best friend's DSL she has with BellSouth. Plus, I can't use aol because of the way she has her DSL configured. It was crazy how they had to do it and that turned me off on it. I rarely have outages and have found that a reset of the modem and/or my wireless router usually fixes things. It's a totally local cable company or I'd mention it. That's one complaint. They have a lock on things around here. But for $68.10, I get cable and a decent speed of Internet.

4. busdriver

busdriver Member

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Have cable and love it. Really fast, really reliable. It's more expensive than DSL where I live. But I think it's worth it, if for no other reason than they have a local number you can call on the rare occasions you have problems and a real person will talk you through it for no charge. Around here, if your DSL messes up, you're SOL.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

DSL. And again, glad nobody sophomoric has brought Angelina Jolie into this thus far.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I really needed DSL and I had no choice but to take Qwest. They are the only major phone provider in Iowa. Iowa Telecom is okay, but they can't hold Qwest's jockstrap, and McLeod went belly-up. It'll cost me about $75 (basic phone and basic DSL together), but in the long-run it'll be better for me.

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

If I said I still use dial-up at home, am I in the minority? :)

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I was with you, until last week. ;)

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

actually, i was thinking of someone else.
    http://www.torontopics.com/co/rachel3.jpg

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was using dial-up through my paper until they decided to cancel their account. So I got the $12.99 AT&T DSL special with wireless.

Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted