1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DSL or cable?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bill Horton, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Allright folks, I'm sure this has been covered over time but it's been awhile and I'm interested in your opinions.
    I have cable Internet and I work at home. It's pretty fast, most of the time. It goes out periodically and it drives me nuts. Like a cabby with a blown engine, I can't work without the Internet. If I don't work, I don't get paid and I don't get new projects.
    I'm thinking of switching to DSL. A new offer came in the mail. Mrs. Horton says we can save a ton of money. Mrs. Horton is usually right about these things. She's usually right about most things, with the exception of her taste in men.

So ... what do you have?
    DSL or cable?
    Why?
    Inform me.

2. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

Comcast cable internet is dope.
    Better than SBC DSL my mom has.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Don't know which cable Internet you have that goes out occassionally, but I don't think my cable has ever gone out, except for once or twice scheduled maintenance in the early morning hours.

Used to have Comcast and switched to WOW Cable, when they were one of the first to offer the one price for cable, Internet and phone.

4. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I have Charter ... and it's about as dependable as Koren Robinson.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've got cable. It was cheaper and came wrapped in a package with the cable TV stuff.

Plus I hate Qwest and don't want to give them any money.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have Earthlink DSL. No cable because have Dish at home. No complaints, Earthlink's always been pretty fast and reliable in the 7 years I've had their DSL.

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I have a (Charter) cable modem despite having a dish for TV. It seems to be much faster than the DSL service that my parents and some friends have, also more reliable.

The thing I've noticed with DSL is that the low prices advertised are for speeds much slower than the basic cable speed I pay $45 for. It looks like you pay about the same to get the same speed. Depends on which evil entity you want to give your $50 to: Phone company or cable.

The only thing I have to do is occasionally power cycle the modem and my wireless router. That solves most of the problems. I've also had to make sure all of the connections from outside were tight.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have the Passy plan with Charter -- 20 bucks a month for cable internet.. no complaints...

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I pay $29/mth (inc. taxes) for my DSL. Never once had an outage. Not even during an earthquake.

Had 8,251 problems with Charter cable TV since I got it. Before I switched to DSL last year, I had 2,526 problems with Charter cable Internet. I won't list them here. Suffice to say, I'm not happy with Charter. ... And I'll stick with DSL.

10. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I had this question a week ago because I just moved into a new apartment and I'm tired of stealing the weak wireless signal I've been using since I got here. I decided on cable because Comcast had an amazing deal for me — cable internet and expanded cable television for $25 each per month through June 2007 on a month-to-month, no contract. So for $50 I'm set for everything I need every month. My friends who have Comcast cable love it. The installation is tomorrow afternoon, so we'll see how it really works.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've got SBC DSL, mainly because I didn't want to give the thieving cable company any money. I've been pretty happy with it. It's gone out about once a year for an hour or so; I've had it four years. Customer service has been good.

As far as the modem speed, I don't pay for the highest level. In fact, I used to be on the lowest level and never had a problem with the speed being too slow.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Depends on where you live, I suppose. Here in Florida, cable service can be subject to knockouts due to severe thunderstorms; my neighborhood had a 36-hour broadband outage late last week (TV worked, Internet didn't). But the phone service? Never a problem unless a particularly bad hurricane rolls through.

Draft saved Draft deleted