1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drywall mold

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Replacing a small area of drywall isn't that tough. Especially if it's in the garage. Hire a plumber for the water line if you need to but you can probably do the drywall yourself.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thread title reminded me of freelance work I used to do for a paper's Home section, writing about Realtors, home-selling strategies, etc. I had a better chance of getting the word "motherf*cker" in print than "mold."

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

by the way, if you ever hire an expert to test for mold, don't hire a contractor. hire a microbiologist. we found out a few weeks ago that my wife was allergic to mold so we needed to get the house tested. contractors have an inherent conflict of interest in that they will point out things that need to be fixed. some are also quacks. some use dogs, which is a joke. some do nothing more than a visual inspection.

microbiologists are actual scientists. they will test the air quality and give recommendations, and you're on your own to get any work done that they suggest.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Use HardieBacker instead of drywall around the faucet. It's designed to be used around sinks, showers, etc.

If you're hiring it out, go ahead and take a hammer to the bad drywall before they get there. That way you'll save a little on demo costs and have a better idea if the mold is contained right there.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

MV: Check to see if your home insurance will cover the repairs. It may not, but it's worth a shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted