1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dry skin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jan 14, 2015.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Have you considered punctal plugs? They are tiny (no bigger than a grain of rice) devices that block drainage and help moisture stay on the eyes longer. The temporary kind dissolve in a few weeks, but there are more permanent kinds if it is determined that the plugs help with the problem.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Get a humidifier for your bedroom. Crank it up when you go to bed.

Dyno likes this.
  3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Be sure you're getting moisturizing cream, like Cetaphil. They're way better than normal lotions. If you buy regular lotion, get the good shit: Gold Bond Medicated.

4. Is this Bo Pelini approved?

5. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

When home, boil a large pot of water on the stove and remember to keep it filled. The vapor will help keep moisture in the air.
    I also have a device I put on the end of the dryer exhaust so that I can direct the air into the house. I have to clean the screen after every use, like the lint trap in the dryer, but it really helps with humidity and overall heating. Sorry, but I don't know the device's actual name — it's box-shaped with an entry hole on one end for the exhaust tube and a screen on the other. Try your local hardware and appliance stores. It's worth it.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wasn't thinking of a home humidity problem, but if you don't have April Aire on your furnace or some kind of humidifier running in your house during winter, you need to. You can do it on the cheap, like fossywriter8 points out, by boiling water on the stove.

I spent about $180 on this humidifier three years ago, but it was well worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Essick-Air-69...1421390213&sr=8-28&keywords=essick+humidifier

In a cold, dry winter this thing puts around 5 gallons of water into the air in a day. It has two 5-gallon containers that pull out and are easy enough to fill.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just started using this again two nights ago, so we will see what happens. My parents bought it (Hankscraft) new around 1971 or '72 when my older brother was a newborn. I actually looked forward to getting a cold when I was a kid because the sound of this put me to sleep in under 5 minutes every single time. Brought this over from their attic and it still works like a charm - and I was asleep in no time.

Eyes did feel better this morning, too.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The static in my house has been awful this winter. We have a couple humidifiers sitting around, but we're probably going to install the whole-home humidifier that runs through your heat/AC system. Static is awful.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I hate being cold so I tend to crank up the heat, which makes my apartment dry. I've been too lazy to refill the humidifier in my bedroom the last couple of days and last night, I paid for it. I woke up at 5:00 a.m. with a nosebleed from the dry air. I also noticed my skin is drier than usual. I've been slacking on drinking water, so I'll be loading up on water today. But really, the humidifier makes a big difference, I've noticed.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sometimes, when I pull a shirt off the hanger, it sounds like the Fourth of July. So much static. So very annoying. Humidifiers are clutch, indeed.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I tried one of those years ago, but couldn't put up with the white-dust coating it left on everything.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Yeah, i've got a humidifier in the bedroom, and it definitely helps. But at work, it's so dry and everything i touch shocks me.

Draft saved Draft deleted