1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dry pens

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, May 6, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Thanks, Expendable. I found that listing too, after I posted this morning. I think I'll buy a house instead.

The Blackwing was a tremendous pencil - "Half the Pressure, Twice the Speed" as it says on the barrel - and a beautiful object, and is now a fetish item among a small group of pencil collectors. As they'll routinely pay $20/pencil, I'm sure that case of 72 originals from the 1950s will sell to someone, but not for the astonishing asking price of $7500. It'll go for over $1000, easy, though. As a practical matter, however, the erasers would be useless by now.

I still take notes in pencil, especially, as has been mentioned here, if the conditions are too hot/cold/wet for a pen. And I routinely edit my paper manuscripts in pencil.

Nabokov wrote 'Lolita' using Eberhard-Faber Blackwings. On index cards. While sitting in the front seat of his car as it sat in his driveway. At least that's the legend.

For anyone interested in a roughly equivalent pencil, try to find the Sanford Prismacolor Turquoise 4B art pencil. Or older Eberhard-Faber Microtomic 4Bs, or E-F Contak 440s. The lead formulations are very similar.

Man, I'm a geek.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've been using the same penis since college, too. It hasn't run dry yet.

Doesn't work so well when it's really cold either.

But since I've been married, I've gone with the Uni-Ball.

3. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

My collection of pens lifted from Marriott properties might be unrivaled. I use 'em up, toss 'em and go on to the next batch.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My go-to:

[​IMG]

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't really like talking about my flair.

6. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

I would tell you what kind of pen I have right now, except I've gnawed off the logo on the side.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

End of thread.

You can get 10 PaperMates for $2 or so. I can count on two hands how often I've run out of ink with a PaperMate. I use 'em and use 'em and use 'em and then lose 'em.

Bics are complete pieces of shit. If they don't run out in two days, they explode in your back pocket. I ruined every pair of jeans I ever wore in HS thanks to Bics.

It's worth the peace of mind to splurge on three 10-packs of PaperMates. You won't have to worry about pens again for at least a year.

8. KG

KG Active Member

I chucked three papermates today. By the third one, just as I was about to start fuming with anger, I thought of this thread and nearly cracked a smile.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That must be tough to have them as co-workers after you've chucked them.

10. KG

KG Active Member

;) Well they are more forgiving than some I've chucked in the past.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Good papermates make work go better. As for pens, whatever the company dime provides.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Thanks, Dools, I just about choked on my supper! :mad: ;D

I second the Pilot gel pens, those things are the best! But whoever said the gel freezes in the cold? I don't get it. I cover football games in blizzards and I've never had one quit on me yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted