1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drunk, or ditzy: You make the call...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Dec 9, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Presented without comment...
    http://www.twincities.com/ci_19492067?source=most_viewed

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I'm going to say drunk.

And that was painful to watch.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Possibly having a stroke.

If not, fun-drunk.

4. JPsT

JPsT Member

According to a reliable source (top-rated YouTube comment) she released this statement:

"My performance last Sunday night was terrible, and for that, I apologize.

I've been sick for some time and taking medication, and have missed a lot of work lately. I'm on my way to feeling better and hope to be back at full strength soon. I appreciate everyone's understanding and even more so, their support."

So, it doesn't seem she's saying she wasn't drunk. How does a producer let her go on air like that?

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

not drunk. I think she just sucks.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Possibly because in a market as small as Mankato, there's no Plan B. At least, I would doubt there is. She's quite possibly her own producer and the Sunday night staff is bare bones.

7. JPsT

JPsT Member

Sure, but there has to be at least somebody else in there. Although, if she's the most senior staff member, I suppose there's nobody to pull rank and say, "I'm pulling you."

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Really, I can buy that she was hepped up on Sudafed or something similar.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

My guess is she was at a party drinking and got called in at the last minute. The top she is wearing is too low-cut for a local news anchor. You usually don't see that much skin on the 10 o'clock news.

10. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Jessica Savitch doesn't understand what all the fuss was about.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Mankato is market 198. On a Sunday night I will bet you she is the only person in the newsroom. Honestly, I'm surprised that she's not doing weather, too.

I'm usually skeptical of the "adverse reaction to medication" excuse... but she looks to me like someone who has a cold and is drugged to the gills.

And Flip, don't know what you're used to in local TV anchors, but that outfit is pretty conservative.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Even one of the stations in Joplin (Market 147) has a beat reporter doing weekend weather. The CBS station is lucky in having a veteran to anchor the weekend news but the NBC and ABC stations will often have anchors who are still in college. There may be someone who can come in in case of emergency, but you can't wait until five minutes before air time. If that happens, you better hope weather guy or sports guy can read what you wrote for the prompter.

A few weeks ago, apparently weekend weather person for the NBC station couldn't make it in and the news anchor had to do it herself. She asked viewers to bear with her since this would be her first-ever weathercast.

Draft saved Draft deleted