1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drunk Jerry Jones rips Parcells, Tebow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I agreed with Jean-Jacque Taylor today on Dan Patrick's radio show. The Tebow stuff isn't newsworthy, but the stuff about Parcells as it relates to the stadium (which was a huge story in the Metroplex for years) was.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Jerry admitted what everyone already knew: That he hired Parcells as a reaction to criticism that he would only hire puppets. That he finally was discovered saying it is the only news value. In a roundabout way, it's Jerry admitting failure. That's the buried lede.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Something needs to be said about a shit-headed person who'd cozy up to Jerry Jones (or any known sports person) at a local pub, then record what's said during what for all intents and purposes should be a private conversation between a few men, then run to YouTube to tell the world.
    What a sorry-assed person that is.
    Damn!

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

For the record, Jerry did not say Bill Parcells is a douche. In fact, he said, "I love him." What he said was that Bill isn't "worth a shit," presumably as a coach/personnel guy.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I totally agree.

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'd do it if somebody paid me enough.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Jones is a peach of a guy around the blackjack table, especially if there's pretty girls around.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Years ago I wrote a travel story about the Redneck Riviera and staff at one resort said that Jones frequently flew down for trysts with Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's banging cocktail waitresses 2 at a time, players couldn't get a drink

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Everybody looks good, compared to Fredo.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm a news guy, lifelong. I am also 100 percent in agreement with this position.

At some point, people putting these things out there, video or audio or whatever taken of people in private moments when they presumably aren't talking to the world, is A) unethical; B) sleazy douchebaggery (hey, everybody else says it, why not me?); C) self-defeating.

C is because public figures are going to stop saying anything to anybody in relaxed settings, and this is going to include lost off-the-record insight that might actually help writers do their jobs.

But mostly, it simply sucks, it's wrong, and I can't be convinced otherwise. And "public figure" doesn't matter in this kind of deal.

I shudder to think about what people would have video of me saying had the technology existed. And I wonder how many good sources would have run for the hills, and how many good stories would have been lost, had this been a threat 20 or 10 or even five years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted