1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

drunk driving and the legal limit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks dr.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, not a legal reason to pull someone over, but it sure as to hell has led to many "your licence plate light is out" (and the like) stops.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

zeke - if you're an average sized male, it takes four ... doc was right.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

yeah because that'll stop people from driving drunk. ::)

5. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

It wouldn't stop the truly dangerous drunk that has BOC of .20 and doesn't give a f*ck, but it would allow responsible people to check and see if they are under the limit BEFORE they get in their car. If the goal is to keep people from driving when their BOC is above .08 it would do a great deal. If the goal is to raise revenue and cut down on alcohol consumption in general then it wouldn't. I thought the drunk driving laws were there to keep people from driving when they are over the limit. If so, cheap and easily available breathalyzers would be very beneficial.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I know the extreme DUI law is in effect in Arizona ... I figured more states had it. Anything above .015 is considered extreme and subject to much heavier fines/jail times/etc.

8. KP

KP Active Member

From the other OUPD.
    http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

EDIT - Just a BAC chart.
    http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/alcohol/alcohol_info7.shtml

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

damn. it sucks if you're a 100-pound man. not only are you a weakling but you can only have two drinks and you're over the limit.

btw, a lot of people don't realize that you can be charged with DUI even if below the legal limit. chris chambers can tell you all about how this works.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The Army is testing this right now at Ft. Benning. It is working, according to my buddies stationed there.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

All I'm saying is I don't believe those charts AT ALL.

According to those, I could go out at 9 p.m. and have eight beers between then and bar close and still drive home under the legal limit.

No chance that's true.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Do you have some sort of evidence to support your theory?

Draft saved Draft deleted