1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drug testing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Feb 3, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Fenian, what is the right? The right to do drugs, or the right to do drugs without being tested?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thought Chapter XVII might have referred to the 17th amendment, but that has to do with the election of senators. Perhaps, however, he was referring to the "unreasonable search" aspect of the bill of rights.

And as a former sailor who was randomly drug tested dozens upon dozens of times, while I agree with the theory that if you've got nothing to hide, what's the big deal, but it was a big deal, and now that I'm on the outside, it's still a very big deal.

I don't know exactly where the line should be drawn, but unless the job you hold is critical (doctor, pilot, etc.) AND there's reason to believe the person is on drugs on the job (similar to if you'd been drinking on the job) then there's no legit reason to conduct a test.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know, Alley.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's a condition of your employment. If you work at a drug-testing employer, you consent to it. Just like you consent to alcohol testing on state roads.

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

A critical job definition is pretty subjective. Would you want a cab or school bus driver to be etsted? what about a factory worker that deals with machinery and errors can cause injuries to others?

That said, drug testing seems invasive and not what I would want an employer to mandate. However, I have no problem with testing after an accident or injury. If the employee tests posiitive, would you deny Workers Compensation benefits? and if so, does this become a one strike and you're out policy? More stern than what befell Tank Johnson.

6. It's amazing how easily Americans will surrender their rights and march in a straight line or pee in a cup simply because they're told to.
    The reason companies are so hot to drug test is financial. Many states have written laws that give 20 to 25 percent cuts in workers compensation insurance rates for random testing and 10 to 15 percent for limited testing.

Draft saved Draft deleted