1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drudge ethics question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John McCain does.
    Where's he serving?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Iraq. It ain't that big, is it? I mean, we went in there and won pretty fast.

3. SigR

SigR Member

I was speaking in hyperbole to make a point. I don't think anyone thought I was suggesting people here actually want a state-run media.

The minute you create a gentleman's club for the way things ought to be done is the minute stories that need to be told start to get buried. I won't defend a lot of Drudge's choices because he obviously has an agenda beyond just reporting the news. But, I think he's an important cog in the machinery of free speech. A large responsibilty rests with the consumer--to not treat "news" as gospel, to evaluate the potential for fraud in a given story, and to judge the character of the individual or organization who supplies them with the news. It's the free market of information.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

If he's such a cog in the machinery of free speech, it needs a can of WD-40.
    Just because you have a web page that answers to no one does not mean you can consistently throw out false and slanderous information.

5. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

But but but false and slanderous information becomes so much less false and slanderous when the hyperlink is in 72 point red italics.

6. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I just want to add, I didn't mean that in respone to you, SigR. I think this has less to do with suppressing the information about Prince Harry and more with Drudge's track record. You make very good points, and I agree that British media holding back the report is dangerous ground American media should not tread.

7. Thanks W-B. After reading the first two pages of this, I was wondering if anyone was going to call him on this.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Boom, you and I well know that different countries forces are working seperately in Afghanistan, and that which country is in which province is pretty well known at this point. While it may not have given out Harry's precise location, it wouldn't be hard for attacks on the provinces British forces are trying to secure to escalate in the hope they could claim his life.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

All would do well to try to access the exhaustive Drudge profile from New York magazine (now at Felker-like high levels, again, after a lengthy fallow period) from a few months back. Quite enlightening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.