1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dropping internet for cell phone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'm moving, and I'm considering dropping my internet connection when I do so in favor of buying a blackberry-type cell phone with internet access. Can anyone tell me what the potential negatives of this move might be? Anyone done it already?

My motivation is money. The cost of my current cheap monthly cell plan plus internet service is greater than simply having an internet-capable phone.

I'm just concerned about not being able to get online from my laptop. It'll basically become a word processing tool that I can take to Starbucks or something when I desperately need it online.

I'm just wondering if I'm overlooking anything.

2. CR19

CR19 Member

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

Verizon's Palm Pre Plus has FREE mifi, you can hook up up to 5 devices.
    So if you're paying $30 to Verizon for Net, it's a bargain.
    My neighbor is using it for his wifi.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Thanks for that. This is exactly what I'm doing. You can even get that phone free on Amazon, or do as I did and print the Amazon screenshot and Verizon will match it.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have a brand new blackberry and my gmail app doesn't allow me to view attachments sometimes. Facebook is glitchy, and surfing the internet is a pain in the ass. But other than that it is great!

Oh PS, I feel like SJ mobile sort of sucks.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

Great!
    Go to the forums at precentral.net, the best Pre place on the Net, for any questions.
    Or PM me.
    Enjoy Web OS, real multitasking.

Draft saved Draft deleted