1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drop Out, Start Up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's obvious getting a well-rounded education and sharpening critical analysis skills isn't a valid reason.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I work in public post-secondary education, and I disagree with that premise.
    How do you determine who is qualified?
    How do you determine the level of education?

Most people can go to college without being in debt up to their eyeballs.
    Far too many choose to borrow the maximum possible rather than being more sensible.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

College admissions standards would determine qualifications. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

Kids borrow money because it's offered. Why not make college affordable and not the playground for the kids of the wealthy, or is that what lesse-tier cheaper state schools are for?

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Qualifications vary, and, at least in California, assessment standards vary within the same collegiate system.
    And most state schools are very good and are usually more cost-effective. That is where the allegedly crippling debt comes into play. Why not go to the college you can realistically afford?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

YF, have you considered volunteering with a Junior Achievement program in your area? I think it would be right in your wheelhouse to promote entreprenuership

Draft saved Draft deleted