1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drones to replace cart girls?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Apr 27, 2016.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You probably order the pizza at Subway, too, don't you?

Gutter and Ace like this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Or chicken wings at 7-11.

JackReacher likes this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My little 9-hole muni doesn't serve alcohol. So, it's bring your own coolers......or in my case.......have a fully stocked beer fridge in my cart shed....as about 3/4 of the guys have anyway.

There's a fine line between good service from a cart girl and begging for tips.

Lugnuts and doctorquant like this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wonder how many drones will be brought down by Titleists.

Lugnuts likes this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ace likes this.
  6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Bloody Marys should be purchased in the clubhouse bar before going out on the course. There are usually four drink holders on a cart, so buy two if necessary. Make them doubles, if necessary. I've never asked a cart girl for one in my life.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nor have I, but that's because I cheat and sneak vodka and mix out onto the course. Once my best friend and I were playing in a Saturday morning tournament and started with a pint of vodka and a quart of mix. It was a shotgun start and we started on No. 14. By the time we made the first "turn" (i.e., No. 18), we were out of vodka, so we got one at the bar because of course we had to have one more. Then it was on to the beer we had stashed. Then, when we'd won, it was into the keg that was provided by the tournament. My wife came and picked me up at the pool ... I was sprawled out on a chaise, snoring.

Tough week in the Doctorquant household, lemme tell you. The old cold-shoulder-and-hot-tongue treatment in spades ...

Ace likes this.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A friend invited me to play the St Patrick's Day tournament at Scarsdale CC last month. There was beer at every hole and you got a stroke for every beer you drank. I left my car at home that day.

Lugnuts likes this.
  9. doctorquant

In my late 20s I got to be a pretty good player (right at a 4 index). This group of guys I played with back then were in the 10 to 14 range, and the ethos in that group was that handicaps, etc., were to be negotiated prior to each round/match (we didn't just do the standard here's your handicap bit). The number of beers I would be required to drink during the round became a major point of contention.

Chef2 likes this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Every year at my club, we have our annual Labor Day tournament. Individual play. Practice Round Friday.
    18 holes Saturday. 18 holes Sunday.

We normally start the festivities on Wednesday night. (ONLY bar in town is open 2 nights a week. Wednesday and Saturday)Everybody comes back to town for it. Shut it down 2 or 3 am Thursday. Dink around Thursday.

They have a beer trailer positioned just off the #1 tee box that has 8 kegs attached to. THEY NEVER TURN OFF THE TAPS.
    Plus. Positioned around our horseshoe (where 2 tee, 4 green and 5 tee are).......there are 2 more kegs that NEVER GET TURNED OFF.

So, we play the practice round Friday early in the day, then have a horserace Friday night. Everybody throws money into the pot....4-person 9-hole scramble.....low score.

After play Saturday, we have a steak supper and Calcutta Saturday night will full free bar. Doesn't cost you a cent. All you can drink. Oh.....as I said.......only bar in town is open Saturday night........everyone goes to the bar drunk after getting drunk during play and getting drunker at the Calcutta.....Thank God I live within walking distance of the bar. Show up Sunday....beer/biscuits in morning on 1 tee. Finish play. empty kegs after.
    To give you an idea, we had one gentleman that worked at the club that got so drunk, he fell off the riding mower (while the motor was still on)onto one of our greens and passed out. Friend of mine goes out to the course first thing the next morning, sees the guy on one of the greens not moving, and the mower still going on......they thought he was dead!

This past year, one of the guys that used to live here and comes back every year got caught banging someone (NOT HIS WIFE) on one of the greens as maintenance showed up.

Best $125 you'll ever spend.

11. doctorquant

I'll be honest, as laughingly as I remember some of those days, that stuff can get way out of hand (which is why I had my over-my-dead-body moment vis-a-vis my daughter working as a cart girl). When I had first joined my club here, I hardly knew anyone but made it a point to hang around the scoreboard when tournaments were going. One Saturday during a member-member (I wasn't playing), I walked over to check things out. One of the cart girls was a student at my university (I didn't know her) and had mentioned to one of the lecherous old farts there that she was going to a fraternity's toga party that night. Further, she'd mentioned she'd bought something "extra special" in the way of a toga to wear. So of course that old fart was taking up a collection to see if they could get her to model it for everyone. I thought, hmmmm, this has the potential to not end well ... so I got the hell out of there.

12. Not really ...

In South Carolina, they can't serve until after 10. I'm usually a few holes into the course by then. And honestly, most of the course do pretty well as far as BM mix quality. By law they pour alcohol into the BM via airplane bottles. No exceptions.

And most courses are not banning (trying anyway) bringing coolers and beer onto the premises. I bring beer all the time. Liquor and mixes is a pain in the ass. I'd just as soon buy it there as mix it myself and carry.

Draft saved Draft deleted