1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Droid Incredible?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Android 2.2, so you get the latest and greatest Android apps. A lot of companies are starting to do both Android and iPhone apps. You aren't tied down to the Apple ecosystem. Plus, it's Verizon so you have 3G coverage anywhere where there is service, unlike AT&T. I can't even get AT&T where I live, but that's changing in the next few months.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just assumed that having to be with ATT was the reason everyone seems to prefer the Droid to the iPhone.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That is pretty much where I am at also. Verizon requires 29.75 per month data plan if you get the Droid.

I just don't see the value in beyond what i have now.

4. NDub

NDub Guest

The price I know of is through Verizon - at their stores and at their Web site. As I said, the sticker says$300, but it's essentially $200 after the rebates. The mail-in is for the store purchase and the instant is at the .com.

Every person I know has a thin protective screen on their smart phones, whether it's an IPhone or Droid.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd avoid the Palm Pre.

Palm is quickly going the way of Blockbuster.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

With Sprint, you get everything (data, talk and text) for $70.

Service is just as good here as Verizon too.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah - get an iPod touch. It's an iPhone minus the phone as long as you have WiFi available.

I love my Droid X but work pays for it. I would have a really hard time justifying the expense otherwise.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Gizmodo's review really didn't leave me jumping for the Droid X. The Droids look nice but it seems a new one comes out every month to try and top the iPhone. How long till Droid comes out with a phone with dual cameras like the iPhone ? But, when all is said and done, I'll probably go with some sort of Android phone when my contract is up in April since VZW's coverage is so damn good.

I do enjoy the Incredible. Pretty smooth and texting/apps are pretty easy.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I have a Droid X, and I will make two quick comments about the phone:

1. Mine is defective, so this may not matter to everyone, but my Wi-Fi will not connect to any network (neither my secured one or free local public ones). It's also had issues doing common tasks: the alarm doesn't go off sometimes, and my Gmail will randomly stop syncing with the phone.

2. For as hyped as the Android Market is, I find it swamped with thousands of third-party apps that were made by some schmoe living in his parents' basement, so it's hard to actually find something that works reasonably well.

Still, I like it. Fixing these two problems would make it infinitely better.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Just got the Samsung Fascinate (family member works for Verizon, so it comes heavily discounted). I must say I like the Android OS. Everything operates rather smoothly. The aps I've installed so far are just basic free stuff, but satisfying. I'll miss the keyboard from my Blackberry and the feeling of durability, but the terrible web browser and general wonkiness were just too much to take.

As for Palm, I've had a TX for years. The thing is a war horse. Even though the device works strictly through WiFi (or through bluetooth with your phone), it does an incredible amount of things. Hell, I even bought a $10 foldup keyboard to attach to it and have used it to file stories. Beats the hell out of lugging a laptop around.

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

The Fascinate certainly intrigues me - maybe it's the thousands of commercials for it on NFL Sunday that does it. Please let us/me know more when you really tap into it.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's what I have now.

Draft saved Draft deleted