1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Driving Standard

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Jun 12, 2008.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I learned to drive a stick from my dad, who dropped this charm on me:

"I want you to rip out the clutch and rip out the shift handle!"

"Why?"

"You tore everything else out of the transmission, you might as well tear that out, too!"

2. My mom's boyfriend taught me. "When in doubt, press the clutch."

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not a bad tip. Just make sure you know exactly what you want to do when you let the clutch out.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I currently drive a Honda Element. I would not have bought the automatic version -- it laaaggggged really bad when you stepped on the gas. But the 5-speed Element is quite peppy. Same engine, different gearing.
    I had a hell of a time learning ... when I was 14, my uncle tried to teach me on the '66 Chevy "three-on-the-tree" pickup he used to haul cattle. He was not much for verbal tips. We were headed up a mountain road when the truck started to slow down. I looked over at my uncle. "Never tried to take this hill in high gear before" he said. That was how I learned about downshifting.
    I never really felt comfortable shifting in that truck, and this trauma kept me away from sticks for many years. What happened was, my wife preferred them and all of her cars were manual. After about 4 years of marriage, I was really sick of only being able to drive one of our cars. She taught me on a long interstate trip that summer -- by the end of the day I had it and never looked back.
    I made sure our older son learned on a stick. His brother, who's not quite old enough, will as well.
    Given the choice, I'll take manual every time.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good to hear, beardpuller.

I hope a manual can pull some power out of the Element. I was shocked at how underpowered that machine is. A former supervisor of mine pulled the trigger on one about two years ago. Practical and fairly comfortable, but when I found out my little machine had it badly beaten in power I got a little worried for him.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

To this day, I can't drive stick. Everytime I've tried to learn, I've gotten too pissed or get panicked.

Stopping is what panicks me. I just freeze up as to what to do when you go from fifth to first in a hurry. I somehow think I have to go back down through the gears.

I ooze fail.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Has this been mentioned yet?

I would much rather have a stick in the snow.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Sam: Yeahl, it's a pretty heavy car-- an SUV, technically -- for a four-cylinder. But the 5 speed is excellent.

Bubbler: Just remember that when you push the clutch in, it doesn't matter what gear you're in, until you let the clutch back out.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

When I got my first car at age 16 my Dad wouldn't let it be a stick because he didn't want me to worry about shifting gears. I was fine with it, and never bought a stick. I guess it makes it easier when I try to eat and drive, or talk on the cell phone and drive. Especially on deadline.

10. shit, I can smoke, talk on the cellphone, change the radio station, flip off the fucker behind me and change gears all at the same time.

My friend experienced this on a three-day road trip with me. He called it an artform.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

When I was learning, a good tip for me was to keep my heel on the floor at all times. Kept me from releasing too soon [insert jokes here] or stomping on the thing.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Damned straight, WB.

And texting? That's what the shotgun is for.

I dictate, they text.

Draft saved Draft deleted