1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Driving Standard

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's what she said.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Among the practical reasons to learn to drive a stick is that if you are buying a cheaper car that is more likely to have some issues, it's nice not to have to worry about replacing an automatic transmission. It's also nice to be able to push start the car in a pinch, if you have to.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I'd do that with my old Metro ... by my self. I was like a one-man bobsled team.

4. Outing alert -- BBAM is Jamaican.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was lazy. In my younger days, I wore out my AAA membership with jump starts and tows.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I didn't learn to drive a manual until I was 28, and now I prefer driving a manual. That's all I've owned for the past 10 years.

7. these guys needed to spend a day practicing in a parking lot:

http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/667817.html

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Yeah, except I didn't make it to the Games.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think everyone should learn how to drive by driving a standard first. Then, when you take the driver's test in an automatic, it's a breeze.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In the early 1980s, I learned to drive on an old Dodge pickup with the shifter on the column. Now I'm driving a Jeep Wrangler with a standard transmission.

But my wife doesn't know how to drive a standard. She wants to learn, but I'm afraid my patience might not be able to handle teaching her. Any advice on giving lessons to a new standard driver?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Patience. Gobs of patience.

And disregard for the test vehicle's clutch could come in handy. :)

(If you were serious ... )
    Go into a parking lot and work on easing the clutch out while pressing down on the accelerator. Then work on rowing through the gearbox. If the parking lot's big enough, your patience isn't fried and the flywheel isn't glowing red, then work on accelerating/upshifting and braking/downshifting.

Wash, rinse, repeat. And know you're a better guy for getting through this with some sanity.

12. My car is six years older than my wife's car, but I prefer driving mine because it's a stick.

I've tried to teach my wife how to drive stick but we've never even become close to getting the car to move before she became pissed at me and stormed off.

Whoever said you need a lot of patience is spot-on. My wife is very intelligent, but patience is not her strong-suit.

Draft saved Draft deleted