1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Driving record as a requirement for hire?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, May 15, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup. paying insurance matters these days.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are not on the clock if you are driving to work. Technically, if you live 30 miles from work, you aren't on the clock (for hours or mileage) if you drive 30 miles to cover an event but don't ever go in the office.

But if you run over someone's grandma on that trip, they'll probably still try to sue the Podunk Press for all its worth.

3. I would like to state for the record that I have never run over anyone's grandma that I know of. A sparrow last week, yes. A wild turkey on a NH highway, yes.

No grandmas.

4. If this were the case for me, I'd never get a job.

NEVER.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A. The guy was already working there.
    B. Drive the speed limit. Amazing what good can come of that. Might even save some gas.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good luck finding another.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I got first desk job in the business because I had my license suspended for too many speeding tickets and couldn't cover games anymore. At fist, it was a little embarrassing to have my dad and/or girlfriend drive me to work and back every day for year. But after a while I enjoyed the daily chauffering.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ask if you can drive on company time to cover a game.

Draft saved Draft deleted