1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Driving down south and it might snow ... I'm going to die aren't I?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A snowstorm this early means wet, icy snow, which means trouble wherever you go. Here in Chicago, they're talking not about a pleasant winter cover of 6 to 10 inches, but a possible powerline-snapping heavy dumping of 6 to 10 inches mixed with sleet and freezing rain.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Why am I getting this vision of Bubbler skidding out of control on I-65 near Upton, his car flipped over. I see KYSportsWriter coming to Bubbler's aid, pulling the unconscious sportswriter out of his car. KYSW, who is Bubbler's No. 1 fan, takes Bubbler to his small apartment above The Lion's Den where KYSW forces Bubbler to write more posts about his late-night adventures to Wal-Mart.

I now see KYSW take a 2x4 and placing it between Bubbler's ankles. I wonder what the sledgehammer's for?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This is the big difference between winter storms in the South and up north. We get hours of rain, which then turns to sleet and then finally snow. So you've always got a nice layer of ice underneath it all.

The driving is really bad when the sleet is falling and the roads are icing over. But then the snow falls and you're able to drive on it for a few hours. But then the snow is melted by the tires and you're down to the ice again. That's when all hell breaks loose.

4. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I can't say I expected to read "coefficient of friction" on here today. Unless it was on boots' thread.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'll never forget being in New Orleans as a kid when they had maybe a half-inch of snow. The city shut down for TWO DAYS, and even then the roads only got clear because it warmed up enough for it all to melt.

Then again, this is New Orleans we're talking about. Not much went right there even before the hurricane.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Damn, that was funny.

:D

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OUTING ALERT: KYSW is really Kathy Bates and Bubs is really James Caan

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Kentucky and Tennessee on I-65? You should be fine. Snow happens often enough that they have salt trucks.

South of that, yer screwed.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

In KY, 65 can be treacherous between E'town and the TN border. There's usually some repair/widening work going on. And -- even in good weather -- there's a couple fatal accidents each month.

It's kinda surprising because it's not that bad (i.e. hilly, winding) of a road. But there are a good number of NASCAR wannabes out there. Also, in bad weather, KY drivers either slow down way too much or keep driving 75-85 in bad conditions. That too is a recipe for disaster.

Happy driving Bubbs!

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Say hi to the locals...

[​IMG]

11. KYSportsWriter

I think I just threw up in my mouth.....*shudders*

12. KYSportsWriter

I went through Bowling Green earlier this month and there was a lot of work going on there.

No road work going on in E'town though.

And yeah, watch out for the NASCAR wannabees if it gets bad tonight. And the truckers, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted