1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Driving California Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Flying to California next week to begin a two-week driving trip w/the boss.

So, here's the situation. We want to drive north-south for the better coastal view and to white-knuckle along the cliffs. The easiest thing to do is fly to San Francisco from Toronto. I see that Crescent City has an airport, but am having trouble finding commercial information/flight schedules from there.

Can I fly San Francisco to Crescent City? And, will there be car rental places there where I can rent and drop off two weeks later in LA or San Diego?

Thank you in advance,

EF

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Have you tried the travel websites?

For the trips I took in May and June I found the best prices on hotwire.com. I did a quick search and there are flights from San Fran to CC.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You can definitely fly from SF to CC, United goes there, maybe a 90 minute flight (although it's the opposite direction from where you want to drive). I know you can rent cars there, and most places will let you drop off in a different location, sometimes there's a fee, depends on the company.

That's an amazing trip, you will love it.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd look into the opposite way: Crescent City up the Oregon coast.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

EF,

We did the Pacific Coast Highway from SF to Laguna a few years ago. We rented a car in SF, dropped it off at John Wayne in Orange County with no problems. Enjoy the ride, it's awesome. Make sure you stop in Cambria on the way down.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As mentioned, you can go to CC. And it is a spectacular drive from CC to San Diego. Two weeks is great, you'll be able to see and do lots of things along the way.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Did that ride a number of years ago with my then girlfriend.who had relatives living in Big Sur. Spent a couple of days there hanging out by the ocean.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

For our honeymoon, we flew into SF and stayed there a few days, then took the coastal highway from there to Santa Monica and then from there to San Diego.

We then took the interstate from SD to LAX and dumped the rental car we originally rented in SF.

Well worth. Simple. And I have great photos of the ride if you want to see them.

I have to look up the name of the restaurant we ate at in the middle of nowhere, but it was great.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If you're driving California, make sure you're not feeling Minnesota

Draft saved Draft deleted