1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Driving age reform?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hammer Pants, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I've wanted to post this thought several times, but I've always decided against it. I respect my elders in the office and in life in general. I haven't experienced half of what most of them have in life, so I try to remember that and stay very respectful.

But I am fucking sick of old people who can't drive. It's ridiculous. People's lives are in danger because these people don't drive the correct speed, they don't use their blinkers and they don't look when they're changing lanes. I honestly could have died twice in the past week in near accidents that would have been caused by two people who had to be at least 75.

Why, oh why, is there no law that makes you take the driver's test again every year when you reach a certain age? Let's say 65. Their vision and reflexes just aren't as good any more in many cases. They can kill people.

We don't let 8-year-olds drive ... so why do we let these people?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree, except with the respecting your elders part.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just today a DC City Councilman introduced a bill to get rid of the tests on elderly drivers, saying too many of them bitch about it. Backwards, not forwards in the District I see...

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

So does this mean the next mayor will be shooting up heroin in his eyeballs?

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Old people bitch about a lot of things. I don't like getting an emmissions test every year, but it's the right thing for the environment. And the right thing to do is get some of those fuckers off the road.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've driven on occasion with a person close to me well over 65.... I am scared shitless to be in the car with him...
    Safe driving is not 50 in a 70 zone where drivers do 80

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How is getting an emissions test for a 2004 model good for the environment, when in some states older cars are grandfathered in? I'm pretty damn sure my car is going to be fine and dandy. Emissions tests in many cases, mine included, are just a way for the state to rip me off for some extra money.

8. I want to know why I have to get my five-year-old car tested, while all these big-ass trucks -- which spew thick, black smoke every two seconds -- are allowed on the road.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Your lobbying group isn't as good.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'd rather kids weren't allowed to drive till 18.

11. Then don't ever visit Montana. Permit at 14, license at 15.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No joke. Some of those big bastards belch more smoke over a five-mile stretch than my vehicle has spewed in the roughly four years I've owned it.

Draft saved Draft deleted