1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Driver kills teen, sues for damages (UPDATED-he drops suit)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 25, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

and you thought stuff like this could only happen in America..... unbelievable the greed (and stupidity) of some people are:

The full story is at the link, I'll just quote the first part of it..
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080125/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/spain_mourners_sued;_ylt=At8H5Xlfq.b43CGnxxNaKaRvaA8F

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: Driver kills teen, sues for damages

Wow .... If I was in that town now and knew where he parked his car, I'd key it about 100 times.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

for starters...

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At least the kid on the bicycle died doing what he enjoyed -- getting hit by an asshole in a luxury car doing 100 mph.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

What scares me is this sentence from the story "As the sun had set when he crossed the path of Delgado's car from a side road, a regional court found both parties at fault and closed the case, the report said."

Hopefully a new court/judge will look at the case and throw it out, realizing the other court screwed up by finding the dead kid at fault.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, like it's the kid's fault the sun set.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How the hell did he end up with $29,400 in damages to his car?

Wow...how the parent doesn't just snap, hunt the guy down and beat him to death with an aluminum bat upon finding out about this lawsuit is beyond me.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This week on TruTV's Disorder in the Court...

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think what that means is, it was an accident. Kid shouldn't have gone into the road without reflective gear, driver shouldn't have been going 100 mph in a 55 mph zone. Doesn't make this guy any less of a tool, though.

And didn't we have something similar here in the states a while back? I remember after Cory Lidle's plane crash, the guy whose apartment he crashed into sued Lidle's estate for $2 million or some high figure. Said insurance didn't cover the total cost of repairs to his apartment.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Why shouldn't he have sued? Lidle's not any less at fault for the accident because he's dead. Lidle fucked up, the apartment got trashed. Not the apartment owner's fault. If the $2M is an inflated figure, then that's another thing.

As for this other guy, yeah, the kid bears some fault for pulling out in front of a car, but the car bears much more fault for driving 100 mph. Guy needs to get a life.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, this would be more like Cory Lidle's widow suing the apartment owner for the damage to the airplane.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think we might be confusing insurance companies suing in someone else's name rather than individuals suing. i think we all know ICs are cold-hearted fucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted