1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DRINKS on a plane!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Jun 20, 2007.

1. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

A D-Cell darling?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't let 'em tell you the slots are tight. I hit a Wheel of Fortune machine for $1,000 in the Reno airport while waiting on a delayed departure. That was the best part-- I was going home, so the money actually left town.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A Rabbit habit? :eek:

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I won about 50 bucks last time I had a McCarran layover, even though I'd always heard that the slots are tight.

About the only time I drink on a plane is flying first class, or to Europe, when the booze is free.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I like where this thread is going! Giggity, giggity, gig-i-ty. All right!

[​IMG]

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

For old time's sake.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, I discovered - by actually reading my itinerary that I only have a 1 hour layover on the way to Seattle and a 2-hour and change layover on the way back. I really hope McCarren has free wireless so I can update you all on what it is like to be drunk in an airport before you get on a plane.

8. It could be worse. You could have a 90 minute layover in Phoenix that turns into a six hour layover.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That sounds awful, but last time I was in Phoenix for more than 2 hours I had a lot of fun:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/38784/

10. I saw one of the saddest things I've ever seen in my life during that hellacious layover. Everything in the terminal had closed save for a couple of restaurants (one with a bar) that stayed open to cash in on people actually wanting something to eat. A little after midnight the restaurants close and this one family comes out. The dad is stumbling and yelling about how he should be able to keep drinking till the plane arrives. He then goes to the airline desk and starts yelling at the people there. Of course the airport cops get called and they cuff this guy and haul him off. The sad moment was when the bastard put up a fight and the cops threw him to the floor and, to put it mildly, got a little rough with him while they cuffed him. The guy's kid/stepkid is standing right there. He's about five to seven years old and is crying and screaming "Don't hurt my daddy!"
    Now I'm the biggest misanthropic nihilist you'll ever meet. I can't wait for this planet to go bye bye. But even a cold-hearted fuck like myself felt sorry for that kid and what he had to witness.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That is very fucked up.
    I would feel awful if I witnessed.
    That and that is why I started this thread - in a sense - to find out if it was worth it to have a couple of beers tomorrow to overcome my fear of flying.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

You can do what I did. Get a job with the airline, never have to pay for an airline ticket. Drink all you want in first class and have a decent meal at that.

Of course, you have to fly standby. But my flight from L.A. to New Orleans sure was a lot of fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted