1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drinking on the job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Loblaw Law Blog, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Well, to be fair, it was about both. It seems most people don't have a problem with the former but most everyone has a problem with the latter. I just wanted to see where people drew the line on the issue and encourage some banter on the subject. Mission accomplished.

2. Actually, that's exactly what it was like and it was magnificent. Of course, if it was a hard deadline I would totally agree with you. But it was a soft deadline to file a prep gamer on our company web site on a Tuesday, which isn't our big preps coverage night. I felt like taking my time with the story and enjoying an ice cold brew in the process. Like Taylee said on here earlier, it wasn't to help me write faster or better and it wasn't to help me wind down or decompress after work — it was because I wanted to enjoy a nice, refreshing beverage. I could have had a Coke instead, but I think Coke tastes like ass. I prefer beer. Hopefully that doesn't make me an alcoholic.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Do ya one better. Had co-workers fired for drinking on the job. Weren't drunk or anything, just kicking it old school while putting the paper out. Check your employee manuals, folks.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I've discovered in my travels that other countries have more permissive attitudes toward at-lunch or after-the-shift-is-over drinking than we do here in the U.S. Not that it makes them (or us) better, it's just different.

And as for DUI: In Australia, you can lose your license for many years if you blow .05. Not .10, or .08, but basically, for most of us, one beer.

As for my opinions: No problem with having the beer in the home office while typing; big problem with consuming anything while representing the paper in public.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd be willing to bet that instance took place a full two years before you lost your virginity.

6. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

My old boss wouldn't let me bring beer into the pressbox after a game and I totally understood. We would however go and visit one of the athletic suites to have a beer when our work was done.

My only answer to your questions is actually a question.

Go ahead and drink that beer if you are never going to write about somebody drinking on the job. Otherwise, wouldn't it be hypocritical of you to drink even one beer?

7. busuncle

busuncle Member

I recently wrote about a couple of college players who were arrested for minor-in possession... I was an avid drinker before I turned 21, but I don't feel hypocritical.

I understand your point, but there's a difference between reporting something and sermonizing on it.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

time for this geezer to weigh in:

i never even had so much as one beer on the job in a press box, even when they were routinely available post-game. that's just me.

back in the day, as a copyboy at a major ny tab circa 1978-79, i'd often be sent to the corner bar to fetch a couple of six-packs for the night sports desk. heck, the slot guy would put the 12 beers in ice under his desk and ask, "anyone else want one?"

my, how things have changed.

9. Don't see the issue. If I'm writing a column about how horrible it is to drink on the job then yes, I am a hypocrite. But if I'm reporting facts that are not in dispute, I don't see how that makes any difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted