1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drinking on the job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Loblaw Law Blog, Feb 8, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

A drink, then, in his honor!

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This is why I love this place. (Lost my blue type momentarily.)

What is so damn sanctimonious about answering a question? He asked it. Shall we lie for you all so everybody feels good about themselves?

3. zeke -
    You have been murderous on this thread, lad.
    Hell, I used to work at a newspaper that got edited in the bar across the street from HQ. And the Ho-Ho chapter in McCambridge's SI book tends to make me believe that my newspaper wasn't the only one edited that way.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Next round's on you, shotty.

And a saucer of stout for the kitties, my good man!

5. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

a reporter's best friend can be a bar sometimes...

I met two CBA CEOs in a speakeasy a few weekends ago. If we weren't there, I would've never met them and gotten what I needed.

Its common sense really. If you think what you're doing might be wrong it probably is. Unless you're either A) some alcoholic who doesn't think going to a little league game toasted is wrong or B) a Ned Flanders type, yes Ned Flanders, I doubt he'd make it as a sports writer, who thinks everything is immoral in some way if it's not related to the church.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If you're planning to perform surgery at home ... have another round.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to come off as sanctimonious - I think the question of drinking a beer while in the comfort of his home is perfectly fine either way it's answered.

But the second part of his post alludes to drinking and driving. Even if it's "one beer," why risk it?

I know of a small child who was killed by a drunk driver-- a guy just like you and me. Didn't have a drinking problem or anything. The child was an only child, and the parents can't have anymore kids. It's an awful, awful situation all around.

Now picture yourself as the driver... <shiver>

8. Taylee

Taylee Member

Boy, have the times changed.
    At first job, three veterans used to send me to the lunch room for sodas. Open them and pour a little out. Gets some of the fizz out. They would top them off ... at least twice ... from a bottle kept in their desks.

They called me names because I didn't have drinks with them.

Our company policy was if you were in a situation in which a drink seemed appropriate, then fine. That's was the OK for me to have a beer with a CBA coach in postgame interviews.

One beer isn't going to impair me or my judgement. I guarantee you that I get more of a buzz from a 16 oz coffee than I do a 16 oz beer. Neither one is illegal and the cold one sure tastes better at 10 p.m.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

How many businesses tolerate or justify drinking on the job? Why do we?

10. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Agreed. Trying to write a story after downing free soda and coffee all game is horrible. My hands end up shaking too much to type and my mind is going 100 mph.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, as I think someone referenced earlier, being a beat reporter means being on the job most of the time.

What if you go to the bar late one night, get 'faced, and then get a call that a trade has been finalized.

Are you "drunk on the job"?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

OK, so what if you've filed your gamer and writethrough and you're chatting up the coach for your travel follow tomorrow?

OK to have a beer then?

And here's my take -- if the people you're with are still technically "working" and they're having a beer, have one.

Draft saved Draft deleted