1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drinking in the 21st century

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Aug 12, 2017.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I haven't had a drink for 30 years and haven't missed it a bit. I was never a social drinker, just another dumb young adult who thought being buzzed made me funnier.

I don't hang out with people who drink, for the most part, as I am not a fan of inebriated folks. No objection to those who do imbibe, I just don't understand why you would do it regularly and to excess past the age of 30.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You seem like a barrel of laughs.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Football and auto racing.

Any other questions?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm a Capitals fan. There's no way I could make it through the yearly heartbreak sober.

Bronco77 and QYFW like this.
  5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

2003. They did incredible business those nights.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Long-time heavy drinker, but now I have young children.
    I look forward to going back to being a heavy drinker at some point.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I would need something stronger than booze to watch auto racing :D

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My favorite college bar sold Natural Light pitchers for $1.75 during happy hour (which was from opening on Monday until 5 p.m. on Friday). This was in the early 80s, but even now pitchers (regularly priced) are only $6.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That's the hardest part for a lot of people. The reality is that you can't quit drinking and still hang out with all your "friends" at the bar. You have to be willing to alter your social lifestyle significantly if you are serious about not drinking.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I really enjoy Triple Crossing and The Veil in Richmond. In a way, it's a good thing their high gravity beers are super expensive. It's $9 for one glass at Veil by the time you tip. Keeps me from overindulging on the high ABV hop monsters.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar situation. But we're too old to recapture that glory.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Have to visit Veil next time. Went to Va Beach a couple weeks ago and stopped at The Answer, was very good.

Draft saved Draft deleted