1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drinking epidemic in our business?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Jan 27, 2007.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

If I can't get in the pool the next day, then I have to bring it down a notch. Three to four beers, three times a week. Drank my weight at world juniors but in the three trips before that was absolutely dry.

YHS, etc

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Part of the reason for heavy drinking at my first stop was there was a lot of people in their early to mid-twenties who still had that college mentality on drinking. For a lot of people, it was their first job out of college, coupled with their first steady paychecks.

Another big reason, just a theory, is that we don't have to wake up early. If I had to be in the office at 9 a.m., I probably wouldn't get drunk Mon-Fri.

As far as older drinkers, well, I don't know.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've been contemplating this question a lot lately, you know.

Full disclosure, I love beer. I was in a fraternity in college, so we drank "just to get fucked up." And I still was doing that when I got out of college ... and when I had been five years out of college ... and now nearly 10 years out of college. Last time was on New Year's Eve this year, and I spent the balance of NYD feeling like ass. My sleep was fitful the night before and I was just exhausted and dehydrated the entire next day. It sucked. I began to question why the hell I was drinking so much. Why not stop at a nice three-beer buzz? At my age (soon to be 31), there's not a whole lot to gain from getting really shitty. It takes me much longer to recover now, and I'd rather spend my days off doing something more productive than "sleeping one off."

Plus, there's the weight factor I mentioned earlier on this thread. Even if you drink a sixer of light beer, you're taking down 600 or so empty calories late at night, and it all goes to the gut. I figure I could easily drop 20 pounds if I just stopped drinking beer, or slowed to a point where I go out and have a beer or two with friends instead of sucking down eight beers for no reason on a Saturday night.

So that's where I am now. I do love the taste of beer, especially a good bitter IPA. But everything in moderation, as they say. Haven't had a beer in more than a week and won't until Super Bowl Sunday.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The other side is what I contemplate ... how anyone can enjoy the taste of beer over a good soda or fruit drink. Never have figured that out. And I have tried through doing in the past.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ahh, can't agree with that one, Shotty.

I'm a self-admitted beer elitist, but I do enjoy the taste of a good beer.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Again, I'm saying every post of mine on this thread is just my personal opinion.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I've never cared what beer tasted like. That wasn't the point.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

A good beer is like a good cup of coffee ... robust, complex, challenges your taste buds. Kind of like fine wine.

Miller High Life does not fall into this category. :)

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK. And just so we're out there, here are the other things I don't enjoy the taste of that most others do:

1. Coffee

2. Butter

3. Swiss cheese

4. Sweet potatoes

So, if you're making me a cheese souffle with sweet potatoes and coffee, be sure to use margarine and then don't give it to me.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Butter?

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Real sweet butter makes me gag. Always has. Margarine, I'm fine with.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

What about Parkay?

Draft saved Draft deleted