1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drew Magary: We need Friday night NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 4, 2015.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Never once has this happened.

poindexter likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

He should stop drafting off my heat.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The law is that the local broadcast must be blacked out.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

It's so funny I don't know if he's serious about the basic premise.

And in my humble neck of the woods, I don't know if Friday NFL would hurt HS football attendance. It's not that great to begin with. Most of the school Twittahz I have to follow are practically begging kids to come watch their fellow student-athletes compete for that fourth playoff spot from the six-team conference.

Too many playoff spots are another rant.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

That law was written in about 1966 and was directed at traditional broadcast networks which were heavily regulated by the FCC. Would the law apply to a cable network?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I always though this was a case of tradition, not law, until I looked it up, after looking at this thread.

Who would enforce this law? Could someone get a court order to prevent a national broadcast/cablecast/internet stream?

Shit, retail banks, and investment banks, merged in violation of federal law, and the only response was to change the law to allow it.

I would think you would see something similar if the NFL went ahead and scheduled Friday night games.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The NFL is promoting the hell out of high school football -- it wants to make sure kids (read: future NFL players) are still playing with all the concussion talk out there these days. Why in the world would the league want to undermine it by playing on Friday nights?

Ace and Jake_Taylor like this.
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think someone like the Texas High School Athletic Association would try to get an injunction.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's called the University Interscholastic League here in Texas, but your point is well taken.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The MAC doesn't seem to care about this.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the MAC promoting HS football. The NFL has ads with it, features a HS team every week on its Sunday night game, etc. The league is clearly in favor of high school football.

Plus, in all but a very, very few instances, MAC games aren't a threat to high school football attendance.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm sure everyone involved with high school and college football in the Toledo area, for instance, would prefer if MAC football wasn't played on Friday. But they understand the MAC's gotta do what its gotta do to get a TV deal.

There was a Friday night college game in this area about a month ago and a lot of local high schools played on Thursday. That's OK for a once every few years thing, but I don't think it would fly on the reg.

Draft saved Draft deleted