1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drew Magary is a bit of a grinch about Charlie Brown

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Schulz

No t

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd never seen it before, either, until last night. I took it as a show where Schulz was trying to teach kids about cancer and other illnesses.

Only thing I would have changed would have been, maybe have one of the regular characters get sick. It would have been more powerful. I was thinking of Frieda, and her naturally curly hair.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

She could get a naturally curly wig.

I'm probably going to Hell for that.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Please. He never got his picture on bubble gum cards, did he?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Peanuts TV specials are hard to watch because of the Peppermint Patti-Marcie stuff I can't unsee.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My sister bought the DVD package of BOTH Charlie Brown Christmas specials (the original classic from 1965 and the very very faint imitation/sequel from about 1985 or so), which also included the CB Thanksgiving specials 2-pack, and a couple weeks ago gathered her whole brood around (boy 11, girl 9, twin girls 5, and girl 1).

As part of the second DVD they included an episode of (I believe the title was) "Charlie Brown's America," a historical mini-series, in which the Peanuts gang goes back in time and takes part in historical events.

So Charlie, Linus, Lucy, Snoopy and the whole group are back on the Mayflower. They are riding the waves on the choppy Atlantic. We see people leaning over the side of the boat, and it's quite obvious they aren't just looking at fish.

The gang arrives at Plimoth Plantation. And they go into great great illustrated detail about the death and disease that afflicted the whole colony!!!

I observed, "I guess it's not too surprising this episode hasn't really become a holiday perennial." :eek: :eek: ::) ::) :eek: :eek:.

After they carted about the 50th lifeless body off on a stretcher, I said, "why don't we watch Mickey Mouse cartoons."

As far as Magary and Deadspin are concerned: Fuckoff, cocksucking shiteaters. Go suck a red-hot tailpipe.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Like I said ...

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re Starman's post: was that Mayflower special called, "It's Scurvy, Charlie Brown!"

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I saw that episode with my kids. Usually, my kids are cracking up about Snoopy, or Linus and his blanket. But they barely made a sound with this show. And I found it quite boring, to say the least.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

They showed that one, coupled with the Thanksgiving episode, this year. It was...interesting to say the least.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I guess we missed "Let's Visit Hitler In the Bunker, Charlie Brown!!"

:eek: :eek: :eek:

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

"Don't Drink The Kool-Aid At Jonestown, Charlie Brown!"

Draft saved Draft deleted