1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drew Magary is a bit of a grinch about Charlie Brown

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on George Bailey, that friggin' wuss.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Someone musta pissed in Magary's cereal today or something. First, the Charlie Brown rant, which was downright unAmerican. Now, he leads off his weekly Jamboroo blasting the guys on the Visa commercial who have attended every Super Bowl. I happen to find those guys oddly refreshing.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was watching Snoopy Come Home recently for the first time as an adult, and that show was flat-out depressing. I'd seen it as a kid, and it seemed like a sad show, but as an adult, wow.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I bawled my eyes out as a kid on that one. "Noooooo dooooggggs allowed (and birds!)" I suspect I would do the same now. But, then, Charles Shultz had one more, incredibly depressing arrow in his quiver: "Why, Charlie Brown, Why?" about Linus falling for a little girl who subsequently is diagnosed with leukemia:

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

When Magary first started writing his rants, I laughed. But I wondered at the time where he goes from there. If your writing voice emerges from a 14-year old middlebrow everyman's mindset, you can't really ever start writing seriously, can you? Aren't you stuck doing fart jokes forever?

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Snooooooopy, snooooooopy, come home, come home come home.
    COME HOME COME HOME.

Agreed. I remember being very sad as a child because Snoopy was gone. Very sad.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Drew=Mr. Potter.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The art of ranting like an adult, I fear, seems to have been lost.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yep. So many of the new media stars see themselves as Howard Beale when they're really John Blutarsky.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My father now almost 80, used to always say to me as a kid, upon catching me in a profanity-laced tirade (a tendency which still exists for me to this day, despite my efforts to the contrary), "Swearing is the verbal crutch of a mental cripple." Dear ol' dad is about a universe or nine removed from the Drew Magarys of the world, in both style and substance, but this thread has firmly planted that line in my head after years of lying dormant.

I

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

just watched that whole show on youtube. Never saw it before, never heard of it before. But then the credits rolled and I saw it came out originally in 1990, so I was already 30 years old. Still, had my 50-year-old eyes tearing up a little. In the end, though, a cliched ending.

But if they had the girl die I suppose it wouldn't have been a very good show for kids. As it is, it seems like a total bummer for kids anyway, although it might be something worthwhile for young kids who have friends get childhood cancer.

Draft saved Draft deleted