1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drew Magary is a bit of a grinch about Charlie Brown

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Dec 9, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://deadspin.com/5710158/fuck-you-charlie-brown

Jeez, Drew ... something as innocuous as Peanuts drives you to near-homicidal tendencies?
    And for the record, it's not horrible jazz in the background. Vince Guaraldi is one of the best jazz pianists ever.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I guess there aren't enough dick jokes in Peanuts to satisfy him.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Everything sucks!
    Everyone's a pussy!
    Everyone's a faggot!
    Fuckity fuck fuck fucky fuck fuck!

Next up on Deadspin: "Fuck You, Muppet Babies, You Fucking Douchebag Vagina Twat Bitches! O'Doyle Rules! Rush Phi Delt!"

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The only point I'll give that foul-mouthed writer is that Peanuts really is largely a manifestation of Charles Schultz's depression.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Which is, of course, its genius.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sigh.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Favorite Peanuts strip: Linus asks Charlie Brown if he's afraid of the world ending. Charlie Brown asks him what day it is. When Linus says Thursday, CB says, "No ... Thursday's my day for worrying about social issues. Tuesday is my day for worrying about the world ending."

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Classic, DW.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Gregg Doyel writes for Deadspin?

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Vince Guaraldi also was the composer for all of the Charlie Browns specials until he died in the 70s. He is an amazing pianist as well and anyone who can't appreciate his work has cotton in their ears.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I wish there was a soundtrack to the 1975 Valentine's Day special, which I believe was Guaraldi's last before he died. Guaraldi had started using synthesizers, and his icy keyboard work perfectly complements a special in which EVERY character seeking love gets fucked over. If Magary thought Charlie Brown Christmas was depressing enough to drive you to suicide, the Valentine's Day special would drive him to kill his family, then turn the gun on himself.

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I'd like to get Magary's take on whiny ingrates, like Bob Cratchit and and George Bailey.

Draft saved Draft deleted