1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drew Magary delivers well-needed beatdown to St. Louis and its pompous-ass mayor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Oct 3, 2014.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My God, this was beautiful. Magary took an op-ed response by the St. Louis mayor in response to the Wall Street Journal story naming the Cardinals and their fan base "the most loathsome" in the playoffs and then killed the guy and his city with 1,000 cuts.

http://deadspin.com/the-mayor-of-st-louis-is-a-complete-dipshit-1642052026

All I can say is awesome ... fucking awesome.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

As a Cardinals fan, I hope this dumbass never lives it down.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was a pretty good takedown, but pretty easy ... the op-ed was a ridiculous chamber of commerce letter.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

@BestFansStLouis is the best thing on Twitter. Absolutely brilliant in its simplicity.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Deadspin was founded by a guy who still upholds the "greatest fans in sports" trope.
    Leitch is still writing these stories.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's only a very wicked response to your fans' deserved rep as so holier-than-thou that it borders on Gator or Ohio State football fan arrogance.

7. Riptide

Well, sez you. Plenty of bad fans in plenty of other places.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm a Cardinals fan too. Won't comment on Francis Slay's piece, but I think the Cardinals' fan reputation is all right myself. (Shrugs)

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the point. There's nothing special about St. Loiuis fans even though 99 percent of Cards fans will brag about how they are "baseball's best" and tell you how classy they are when at best they are as bad as the rest of us.

10. Riptide

I get that from Braves fans. So fuck them, too! :)

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't have a problem with Cardinals fans, and quite frankly, I don't think they're the most loathsome fanbase in their own current division series.

But, I could see why you aren't too enamored with them, Jake.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted