1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drew Carey, Come on down!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Jul 23, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

If you are going to do something new, like Drew be the host, then the Barker Beauties need to find new work and have the strippers do the show.

Strippers swinging on brass poles next to a "BRAND NEW CAR!!!!!!!!!"

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think this is a good choice. He'll do well.
    And I watched Letterman, he was funny, loves his soccer and is disgusted by Vick. Good for him. I also watched his show last year on shooting the World Cup. It was really entertaining, even though he left out how Germany brought in literally millions of extra hookers to work the World Cup crowd. I had to learn that valuble piece of information from HBO's Real Sports.
    Which brings up an interesting question, Webster, you were there, were the working girls that obvious? And were they any good?
    Perhaps a "friend" has a story to share.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I talked to a few ESPN/ABC folks who spent the month there.
    It wasn't millions, and it wasn't obvious.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I'll agree that this is a good pick. But I can see Drew Carey doing "The Price is Right" for a long time. Those game show hosting deals are pretty easy gigs....they knock out months of episodes in a couple of weeks. Plus, I think they show reruns on a regular basis. He'll get a nice paycheck for a couple of months work.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If I remember the Bob Barker coverage right, they film all five episodes over two days.
    So a pretty cushy gig that will pay well.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good thing the Intradoohickeys weren't around during Bob's heyday.

As for Carey, this is an inspired choice. He was outstanding on Whose Line Is It Anyway. And I disagree with those who think he's in this for the short-term or to use it as a stepping stone to a regular prime-time gig...he's not going anywhere. He's 49, he's fat and balding and dopey looking. There was one show in network history about a guy like that, and he was the star.

He really seems to be a regular guy, and given how ABC completely screwed him with both The Drew Carey Show and Whose Line Is It Anyway--both of which had their final season or two burned off in the summer after a new regime decided it didn't want anything to do with him--my guess is he'd be happy to do this for the next 30 years.

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Not seeing one before, here's a link.....
    http://news.aol.com/entertainment/story/_a/price-is-right-for-drew-carey/n20070723193509990008

And this will sound quirky if you never saw such pictures, but when I first saw Drew Carey perform standup on TV, with the big glasses and semi-crew cut, for some reason, it reminded me of pictures I had seen of TPIR's original host from way back, Bill Cullen.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I liked the Travel Channel show as well. I've got to catch the Letterman clip on You Tube when I get home (blocked at work). Carey shows up to a bunch of US matches and is clearly the best known US Soccer fan.

As to the ladies of the night in Germany, we hit most of the big cities and it wasn't like they were stopping you on the street in broad daylight. If you hit a bar or a club, especially in a hotel, it was clear that they were there, but given that every place in Germany was about 90% male, they stuck out even more. Then again, for the most part, we were all in our mid 30s and older, mostly with small kids, so we weren't staying out until all hours.

We hit a couple of strip clubs which were awful (worse than places in Newark or the Bronx). I think that I stayed for 40 minutes total in the 3 places than I visited. Some of the more curious guys that I went with hit the real nasty places where everything was available for a price (Not me. Seriously.). No one owned up to purchasing any services, but the review of the talent was very negative.

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

As long as he doesn't try to be Barker, Drew Carey will be fine.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Didn't stop Bob. I think cavorting is one of the perks.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Yeah but can you win the strippers too? :D

12. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Who knew it was so dangerous to host TPIR? http://www.tmz.com/2007/08/10/when-plinko-attacks/

TMZ has learned that Drew Carey was injured today on the set of "The Price is Right."

Sources on the set tell TMZ that today during rehearsals "Price's" new host got his arm caught in a game with some sort of rotating device
    UPDATE: TMZ has learned that Drew got his arm caught in the revolving turntable on stage while rehearsing for the Grocery Game.

Draft saved Draft deleted