1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drew Brees Endorsing Pyramid Sche... I mean "direct sales" company

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lcjjdnh, Mar 15, 2016.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I spent $0 and know MLMs are a scam.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I read somewhere Brees has some sort of allergy that keeps him from actually using the products.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A woman I went to high school with is peddling some weight loss crap called "It Works!" non-stop on Facebook. The product line includes some kind of pill that speeds up metabolism, some kind of energy drink and body-slimming wraps. The whole thing is complete bullshit. I had to unfollow her posts after the umpteenth photo of (at the risk of sounding like Dick) people's stretch marks, flabby stomachs, legs and bodies in before and after shots, purportedly showing how "It Works!" Who knew that standing up straight, zooming out, clearly using some kind of photo filter, standing in better lighting, angling your body and/or putting on concealer makes you look thinner/healthier/more awake? She posted a video of the wrap. It's three pieces - what looks like a large square of an opaque plastic shopping bag, caution tape and saran wrap - all for the low price of $25. She is constantly trying to recruit "brand ambassadors" and she is currently giving a month's supply of it all for free to anyone who commits. I want to shake her and tell her It Doesn't Work! and that she should cut her losses now and get out.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Why are so many of these schemes populated with LDS?

My neighborhood mommy facebook feed which is usually good for unintentional comedy is filled with Mormon Mommies pushing Iasagenix and Shakeology as well as a couple others.

Is it a cultural thing?

5. JohnHammond

Income for stay-at-home moms to keep up with the Joneses. Momtographer is also a popular side job.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Among female actors & singers Arbonne seems the business to be in.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

To be fair, the wraps do work, albeit for short periods of time. My wife bought some at a party held by one of her friends who was temporarily roped in. She went from a size 4 to a 2 for a little more than a week (#WhitmanHumblebrag). It seems to tighten the skin.

She only used the one package, but for someone trying to tighten up for a wedding or special event, they can be effective. Safe? Who knows?

8. JohnHammond

You know what can help you lose a pound or two for free without needing a wrap? Fast and drink castor oil. Not safe, but IT WORKS!

No way a wrap, by itself, causes a woman to drop two dress sizes and lasts for a week.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was invited to one during my first year at junior college. "Friend" calls me out of the blue and asked me to go to the meeting. I can't remember the name of the product. It was shut down as a pyramid scheme soon after.
    During my brief period of unemployment in 1996, another friend took me to an Equinox fest. I shot him down the minute I figured out what it was all about. The highlight for me was this: When I covered UCLA, they had a louder-than-hell air horn that they used to blast after every touchdown or field goal. I recognized the guy who was in charge of the horn. He was one of the speakers hawking the Equinox crap. So I went up to him afterward and said, "Are you the guy from UCLA who was in charge of the air horn?" He smiled and said yes. Then I said, "I have a question ... is the air horn jockey a scholarship position?" I burst his effing bubble. Continuing this story, soon after I applied for and got a copyediting job. The reason the paper had the opening was because one of the desk guys had quit to sell Equinox full time.
    My wife paired up with a friend to hawk Arbonne. It was one of those times when I had to be supportive, ya know. We had an Arbonne party at our house and exactly one person showed up. That was the end of that.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Hope the Feds shut them down. This thing sounds creepy.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's a built-in network would be my guess.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I often try to counter these people with Jehovah's Witnesses literature.

Draft saved Draft deleted