1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dressing for NFL press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Sep 26, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Dress like a professional.

2. scribeinwiscy

scribeinwiscy Member

Do not, and I repeat, do not wear a light-colored shirt. I guarantee you will spill mustard and/or kraut on the front of yourself during the halftime rush to pound a brat and a slice of cheesecake should you choose to do so.

Then Grady Jackson and his big fucking mouth full of gold a professional athlete will make fun of you in the locker room.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. Dress professionally is the best advice. No reason to stand out one way (cutoffs) or the other (shirt and tie if you're under 65)

Got one question, though.

Do people still wear button down shirts? I thought they had gone the way of khakis with pleats.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

The rule that's stuck with me since J-school is pretty simple: dress to the level of what/who you're covering.

That's not to say you should buy a $3,500 suit to cover the NFL because that's what the players wear on their way out of the dressing room at the end of the night, but I've always thought it best to dress the situation. If the players are coming out of the room wearing shirt and tie, they ought to respond to you as an equal if you're doing the same (or similar... I like the idea of nice shirt and pants but no tie).

That said, I'm afraid I need to think about dressing down more for covering HS. I've got a nice leather jacket that I tend not to take off even when I'm in the gym. Might be a bit intimidating for the kids?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I do. If I don't have to be around people, it's t-shirt or polo shirt with jeans. If I do, it's a button down shirt and nicer pants, lace up shoes. I can throw on the jacket hanging behind me if absolutely necessary.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Pleated khakis are out of style?

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Gomer: I can address the HS issue from experience. I discovered, through trial and error, kids and coaches seemed to feel more comfortable when I dressed to the casual side during mid-week, non-game interviews.

8. Babs

Babs Member

Yes I think a leather jacket might be intimidating. I'm not sure why, but I think it's true.

Dress down for practices and up for games, no matter what the level. There should be a difference in your game wardrobe and practice wardrobe. This shows you are professional but approachable.

Regarding pleated khakis, I would say they're out of style, yes.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I wore a button down shirt with a tie at a NFL game several weeks ago. I'm not sure why this is a discussion. If you're covering a college or professional game, dress like an adult. Dress like the professional you're supposed to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted