1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dressing for NFL press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Sep 26, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Anyone who knows me, can tell you I should not be dispensing fashion advice (I don't even own a tie).

But the best advice I've read on here is not to draw attention to yourself one way or the other. Just wear a nice pair of pants/jeans and a nice shirt and you should be fine. Most people don't notice what you wear unless it's obviously different from the standard fare.

If my bosses happen to read this, they should get a good laugh.

2. skippy05

skippy05 Member

When I covered the Rams, I wore nice jeans, nice sneakers, and either a polo or jacket with my radio station logo. But, I knew all the guys in the box really well AND I always sat in the auxillary box so I didn't have to deal with the TV egos in the main box (plus, the food was better). If you're a new guy, I don't see the problem with jeans, but a polo or button down and a pair of loafers wouldn't be bad. Covering the Cards, most of the media I know wear shorts. I don't, because I'm tattooed and while I like my body art, I understand it's not the most professional image to put out there.

And you guys joke about jerseys, a couple years ago, there was a guy in our box who not only cheered the team, he wore his Rams' ballcap, brought his kid with him and (I swear this is true) sent that kid, who was probably 10 or 11, into the visiting team locker room (I believe it was the Pats) to collect sound!!! I don't think I would send my kid into a room with a bunch of naked athletes...if for no other reason than you don't your male child getting any body image complexes that early in life.

And the comment about Bruce Martin in a kilt? Maybe if there were a couple stains on it and it reeked of alcohol, MAYBE he'd consider wearing it...

3. Mira

Mira Member

Come on, let's not pick on Bruce Martin.

You can't compare attire in an NFL pressbox to a Cup race. If you need to catch a driver who drilled his car into the Turn 2 wall, you have to be comfortable to chase him down if need be ... and jeans and sneakers do just fine.

A nice shirt and pair of jeans ain't going to make no difference to Mr. Helton, Mr. France or Mr. Stewart.

4. Don't forget a blazer...screw the tie.

5. skippy05

skippy05 Member

While I don't disagree, I actually dress better covering NASCAR than I do any other sport. I also wear a company polo and nice khakis. I do wear sneakers since I'm moving around a lot. I've never been a slob, though, even covering prep sports, I always wear something appropriate.

And you're right, I shouldn't pick on Bruce...it's like pointing out everything wrong with the STL Cards this year, it's too easy...

6. lono

lono Active Member

Agreed ... except that frequently isn't the case.

An awful lot of the journos at NASCAR races dress down in t-shirts and jeans and don't look any more professional than the fans. Looser fanboy baseball attire is especially popular.

As for the aforementioned Bruce Martin, his uniform of the day is almost always a Chicago White Sox shirt or jersey.

7. skippy05

skippy05 Member

That's a true statement, but most of the regular writers at least wear collared shirts and look somewhat respectable, but it's guys like our White Sox fan who make the rest of us look bad. If I'm there representing someone, I'm wearing a polo with a logo and either khakis or nice jeans and nice sneakers. Yeah, it's not a suit and tie, but considering the environment, it's not bad...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wear Jeans and tennis shoes. I'm comfortable.
    But, I always wear a collared shirt too.

If I do wear shorts, they arent ratty and its to an event I can get away with it. And the only time I'll wear a T-shirt is if it's a prep game and like 95 degrees. And even then, it's a little dressy. Not wearing a bar shirt to a HS game

9. snakeplkn

snakeplkn New Member

I'm going to my first NFL game at Green Bay. Any thoughts of what to dress for their press box? Is it open to the elements?

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

A Brett Favre jersey would probably look nice.

11. the Lambeau press box is closed

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes, an NFL stadium in a place notorious for its testicle-shrinking cold is going to have an open-air press box. Jesus.

Draft saved Draft deleted