1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dressing for NFL press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Press box dressing down? Yeah, OK.

Calling the advisor? Just a tad over the top.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Defintely wear clothes.

3. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

The only one of those I disagree with in a professional press box is the sneakers. Then again, I'm a girl and easy to move in, non-sneakers are usually really ugly. I figure if the sneakers are comfortable and not beat to hell, they're okay.

When I was up in NFL boxes, I tried to wear slacks/knee-length skirt (no jeans) and a nice top. If I could wear it out to a nice business lunch, minus the shoes, I figured it would be okay in the press box.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Always liked this look:

[​IMG]

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not really. The kid needed to have his ass kicked for the way he acted.

6. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I've pulled student reporters aside and chastized them about their appearance, but calling the advisor is a little over the top. I'd only do that if the student reporter was a total ass hat about the situation.

I've become proactive on working with the student media. I sit down with all of our student media and explain to them how our office works and some of the do's and don'ts of reporting. I tell them that if they want to be taken seriously, then they need to dress that way. I have gotten good results from this.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

They don't make jackets or pants - or rasslin' managers - like that anymore.

Damn shame.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've seen a student reporter show up to cover a game with a huge pot leaf on his shirt...

That one had me in hysterics for days...

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

You don't drink? What's wrong with you, son? Then again, if you can cover baseball without ever being driven to drink, I guess that's impressive in itself.

In today's casual climate, I think you have to reach a certain age or notoreity before you can pull off a really unique look. I'm thinking of Tracy Ringolsby and John Lowe and their signature hats. If a young kid came in nowadays and tried to do something like that, it wouldn't seem right and they'd hear about it in a hurry.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

When I used to cover major DI hoops, I went with sportscoat and tie.
    I've covered PGA golf, MLB and minor league baseball and went with polo shirts and khaki shorts with sneakers.
    If it was chilly, then khaki pants.
    When I was a college SE, I always wore a sportscoat and tie for away hoops/football games, more dress casual for home games.
    You want to be comfortable, yet look like a pro.
    I guess I let the weather dictate what I wear, but I have never worn jeans to a non-HS event.

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

I've often wondered what the players say about John Lowe's hat behind his back.

12. slim72

slim72 Member

No one gives a shit what we wear. Only what work we do.

Draft saved Draft deleted