1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dress codes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sconnie, Jul 30, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

He's probably too busy looking for his Scrubs DVDs to use a humor font anyway.

Maybe I completely whiffed on the joke, but I took his "dress myself at 19" bit to mean he started picking out his own wardrobe then and didn't have people buying him clothes.

I'm constantly telling family members not to buy me clothes and to give me Target gift cards so I can pick my own clothes out. It only works sometimes.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The only clothing I won't buy alone is a suit. My first girlfriend was there when I bought my first. My mom and my second girlfriend was there when I bought my second and third suits. And I went alone to buy my fourth suit a few months ago, but I sent picture messages to the most recent girlfriend for her approval. I just don't trust myself with them.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

By contrast, I don't want anyone else buying me clothes or picking my clothes out for me. Especially my older relatives who have strange ideas about fashion.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What do you get rid of first--the suit or the girlfriend? :)

You know, MIke, men who drag along significant others for advice on clothes are doomed.

That's why you should read mags like GQ & Esquire---they'll save you from that embarrassing moment when you've got the new suit on and the sales guy is looking at your girlfriend for the thumbs-up or down.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

He will wind up in a pair of Capris and man-clogs faster than he can say Jack Robinson.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The four of us sports guys would get some strange looks from everyone if either of us came in with a suit and tie on.

Or even just a button-up with a tie.

When it comes to the supposed dress code here, we just wear whatever the hell we want.

7. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

nice

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Technically, these are also Crocs:

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-438-4-hi-cruiser.aspx?reqid=438&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products
    http://shop.crocs.com/pc-1159-4-velocity.aspx?reqid=1159&reqProdTypeId=451p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products
    http://shop.crocs.com/pc-668-4-venture-canvas.aspx?reqid=668&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products
    http://shop.crocs.com/pc-633-4-venture-leather.aspx?reqid=633&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products

Can't get a picture to display because they use too damn much Adobe Flash, but Crocs makes regular shoes along with the ugly beach shoes. The second item on that list is a pair that's designed specifically for the hospitality industry, especially cooks. I also know a lot of nurses who wear Crocs as part of their uniform.

I have a pair of the Venture shoes (last item on the list); comfortable as hell and they don't look like ugly beach shoes.

Of course, one of the advantages of temporary self-employment is that I can set the dress code: cargo shorts, flip-flops and a polo shirt if I'm feeling dressy. :D

We are the people
    There isn't any doubt
    We are the people
    They still can't figure out
    We are the people
    Who love to sing Twist And Shout
    (Shake it up baby!)
    We are the people
    Our parents warned us about

;D

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

My ex thought someone could make a mint on making "Garanimals for guys."

For those of you too young to know what Garanimals are: "Each item of clothing features a hang-tag depicting one of several anthropomorphic animal characters, also called Garanimals. The philosophy behind Garanimals is that by making it easy for children to choose coordinated outfits by themselves (by choosing pieces with matching hang-tags), children gain self-confidence."

As for dress codes, I don't have much to add. Just use common sense I guess. I haven't worn a suit (rented tux for my wedding aside) in 18 years and wear my lone sports jacket maybe once every five years.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The only reason GQ exists is to deliver unwanted cologne ads (sadly, the fragrances mix poorly) to mailboxes.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Think yours is strict? Check out mine.

www.usapa.army.mil/pdffiles/r670_1.pdf

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Sadly they get rid of me, and then my suit doesn't fit so well. I lose many more times than I win (as has been documented well on here). The only time I drag the women around are for the suit. If that makes me doomed, well, I'm fighting a losing battle anyway, so pile it on, fellas.

Draft saved Draft deleted