1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dress codes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sconnie, Jul 30, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Depends what/who you cover. For a ballgame or one of the community events my paper does a lot of, casual clothes are fine. If you're covering a court case or a speech by a bunch of state or national political figures, anything from business casual to professional dress.

I tend to favor business casual to professional when I go on assignment.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on the double standard between men's and women's dress codes at nearly every newspaper I've worked at.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It fires up the **** homophobic asshole faction up in here.

4. jps

jps Active Member

wearing traditional flip flops? leaning to the 'no' side. sandals ... maybe another story.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When I work the desk, I start at 5 p.m., the time most of the first-shifters are clearing out. Working nights in the office carry slightly different standards. So I show up in shorts and flip flops or sandals. So do many others. It's not a problem. If I ever worked in the office during day hours, I would wear khakis and shoes.

And it's not entirely a generation gap thing. I'm in my mid-late 40s.

That being said, shorts today are not like shorts in the 70s. Shorts back in the 70s generally meant cutoff jeans. Today's shorts can be quite nice, khaki or Dockers style.

I remember in the 70s when wearing jeans to school was considered a sign of anarchy.

6. jps

jps Active Member

unavailable for comment

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

GQ Style Guy, August 2008 edition:

"But seriously, folks, flip-flops are for the beach or for maybe washing the car or spaniel. They are not the next big thing. They are the last sad thing on the road to stylistic surrender."

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The day I take a fashion tip from GQ or any other medium is the day I die. I go to work comfortable or I don't go at all.

It's just a good thing I'm comfortable in everything I own -- shirt, tie, suit, shorts, jock, etc.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

::)

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No one better start a thread about what to wear to a gay wedding, is all I've got to say.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm with Frank here.

Business casual has gone from dress slacks, collared shirt, clean and shined leather shoes to flip flops, t-shirts and shorts. About the only thing more offensive would be a pair of Crocs.

And there's this odd idea floating around here that the employee somehow dicates what is acceptable attire; hence the "I go to work comfortable or I don't go at all".

An entire generation raised by wolves.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As Jack Benny would say:

"Well!"

Draft saved Draft deleted