1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dress Code?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Panhandle PK, Jul 5, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My shop's official dress code (which I've codified) is: We expect you to wear clothes.

If you're going to interview a county or state official in a formal capacity, I ask people to dress at least business casual. However, for work at the office, covering games or whatnot, I don't really care.

To me, it's less about the clothes being worn. It's more about what the person does in the clothes that makes the biggest difference. HOWEVER, in the business world, clothes are a big part of presenting yourself in a positive manner. Those of us who would prefer wearing shorts in the office need to at least acknowledge that.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bingo. My shop is pretty lax with dress codes, just as long as you don't show up looking like a slob. You'll never hear me complain about that.

I know people at one shop who must wear shirt, tie, the whole nine yards....for summer leage baseball in stadiums with no AC in the press box. I felt bad for those guys every time I saw them. I'm hoping that's changed.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I wore a tie for my hiring interviews and the first day on the job.
    That first day, the SE said, "I don't think we'll be seeing that tie here in the office anymore."
    I said, "I wouldn't wear a tie to the office even if your funeral was held here."
    I'm a jeans, golf shirt, tennis shoes guy. Shorts on weekends.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

You must always wear a fedora.

5. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

[​IMG]

Preferably this one.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Short dark socks with sandals are the thing now.

You don't want to look like a slob. Wearing decent shorts/cargo shorts, etc. while covering a game or golf tournament or something is fine. I would never wear gym shorts or a t-shirt, though.

I also have never worn short pants into the office to work a desk shift.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No one wants to see your hairy legs or your grubby bare toes, pretty much ever. And while we'd like to see your boobs, we don't want to see them at work.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I don't wanna see Ace's boobs.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

How about this?

[​IMG]

10. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

We have to have slacks and a collared shirt during the week. News reporters are expected to wear a tie when going out to interview folks.
    Jeans are not allowed unless it's the weekend or a holiday.

I hate seeing sports guys wearing hats. Take the 30 seconds to comb your hair.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Cover your damn feet. I'm begging you.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

When it's 40 degrees and rainy during a Friday night football game, I'm throwing on a ball cap and going to the football game in tennis shoes and jeans.

Draft saved Draft deleted