1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dress Code?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Panhandle PK, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Panhandle PK

Panhandle PK Member

It is that time of year - 90 degrees outside, sitting down, covering baseball/soccer/etc.

The office dress-code is pretty much universal. Pants, shirt, etc.
    But when you have to cover an event, a game, a function - its going to be outside...on a sunny day, in July - what is your shops dress code?

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

One word on dress codes: Ugh.

During the summer, (almost) everyone at my place wears shorts and some sort of presentable shirt to the office and to cover games. During the fall/winter, jeans are standard fare unless you're covering BCS football/basketball.

IMO, if you're working at a shop that spends its time implementing and enforcing a dress code, you're just seeing the tip of the iceberg of its poor management practices.

3. busch

busch Member

If it's over 90 degrees I wear a fish net tank top and a speedo. To make it look professional I wear dark socks with my sandals. I think that fits under the dress code.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'm a "don't ask, don't tell" kinda guy.

5. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Nice t-shirt, khaki shorts, flip flops OK at my gig.
    When it gets colder I'd imagine I'll be wearing jeans and a polo shirt.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I'll look presentable in the office on the weekdays, somewhat less presentable on the weekends and will dress for comfort while sitting outside at a game.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Evidently you own a surf shop. :D

8. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I remember a new guy covering a demolition derby (after a thunderstorm) in a dress shirt, pants and shoes. Always fun.

And we only covered one derby a year, the big one at the County Fehr'.

9. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

For the most part, yes. But some people are too thick-headed and don't get the "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" memo.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

One place I worked required men to wear a tie when they were in the office. One reporter used drape a tie around his neck, untied. He'd say, ``They said I had to have a tie, but they didn't say I had to tie it.''

At another stop, management tried to institute a dress code (including ties in the office). It lasted maybe three weeks before the desk guys were back to wearing T-shirts and sneakers and the only ones left in ties were in upper management.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just got a memo this past week about dress codes. I'm on the news side most of the time and I'm supposed to wear slacks instead of jeans. Collared shirt is part of the code too. But a couple of the other guys wear shorts and t-shirts.

The memo, though, was mostly about women covering up more.

The town I'm in doesn't seem to be too formal. I'm new in the state, but I haven't seen too many business types wearing ties. I imagine in the winter, I'll wear long-sleeve dress shirts.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

They don't pay me enough to adhere to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted