1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dreams

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pantalón del Fuego, Jul 22, 2008.

1. I don't know how seriously this topic has been discussed in the past, but do any of you give any credence to dream interpretation Web sites?

I have several, very vivid, very colorful, dreams at night. If I think about them as soon as I wake up, I can remember most of them. Otherwise, they're forgotten unless/until something trips the memory (perhaps even a deja vu).

I've learned to plot out keywords because I want to figure out what the hell these dreams mean.

I've had several dreams where I've actually died in the dream, knew it, then woke up. I've dreamed of my deceased father (the stove blew up while he and I were sitting at one of those old, 1950s-type kitchen tables). I've dreamed of being nuked. Some dreams would make great short stories if I could remember them.

Some of my more recent dreams have an odd twist to them. I'm not making this up, so if you laugh, please do it where I can't hear you.

Many times, I'll have to um, you know, pee, and I'll find a hole in the floor and go there. The hole is often in a bedroom, and sometimes I can see the bathroom from there (and it is occupied). Of course, if you try the words "pee" and "floor" in these dream interpretation sites, the only thing you're likely to get are ads for local insane asylums. And no, I didn't pee the bed, if that's what you're thinking.

Other topics which often come up:

Flying, especially on some homemade contraption, or me simply getting a running start and propelling myself through the air. In the latest one I actually flew over a high school football stadium I once covered and perched long enough to watch the kickoff.

Transportation -- I often start out in a car and end up on a bike, or driving an extremely tall vehicle (way higher than stoplights).

Tornadoes -- I have a fascination with them, so that could be the reason.

Sexual encounters -- See tornadoes Many of these are with women I don't know/have never met, and many of them are with my wife in the house/room, as if she knows about it.

So, is it time to check myself in?

2. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

I read somewhere that your mind doesn't have the capacity to make up faces, so the people you encounter (sexually or otherwise) in your dreams are people you've met, or passed on the street or stood next to in line at the grocery store.

Or, in your case, murdered.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I believe that to be the case...I've had dreams with people in them who I haven't seen or talked to in years.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I have dreams with incredibly random people in them. Parents of childhood friends, people I worked with 20 years ago whose names I couldn't tell you if my life depended on it. My dreams star minor acquaintances far more often than the important people in my life.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

This will probably get me a visit from the nice men in the white coats.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/855633/

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I had a dream last night I kicked Arnold Babar.

It was the best dream ever.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That dream's coming true this weekend, chief -- except in reverse.

8. Jar of Flies

Jar of Flies Member

Thunder only happens when it's raining.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

i have that dream where it feels like i am falling just about every night. and it never fails that i get a charlie horse that jolts me out of a deep sleep. few things can wake me up when im out, but that is one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted