1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dreamgirls -- anyone else have this experience?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Rocky IV and Hoosiers.

2. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I am a huge Jennifer Holiday fan and I've seen her sing "And I'm Telling You" in concert. I honestly think Jennifer Hudson's performance of the song in the movie was incredible. It's something that needs to be seen and heard. Just hearing it isn't enough.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Clay Aiken would be awesome in Dreamgirls

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A huge fan of Jennifer Holliday or a huge Jennifer Holliday fan? ::)

5. boots

boots New Member

Hudson is incredible but imagine if you will if Holliday was in her prime when Dreamgirls was put on the silver screen. I think everyone would have the same reaction.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Just got home from seeing Dreamgirls, and for someone who has been very disappointed with films so far this year, I really enjoyed the experience.

Full disclosure, Moulin Rouge is playing on my DVD player as we speak, because Dreamgirls got me in the mood. I also love Condon's Chicago ...

My iTunes just beeped and told me the soundtrack was finished downloading and being burned onto a CD. I'll wear this out, much like my Moulin Rouge soundtrack, or Chicago, or Wicked ...

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No applause that I can remember when I saw it a week ago Monday, but that's not to say I didn't hear the buzz from others talking about that performance during the movie. Great movie, glad I saw it.

About the closing thing to what you're talking about here happened when I saw "The Show." Basically everyone in the place knew all the lyrics and rapped along from start to finish ... except for the three white boys from the suburbs, me being one.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just saw a commercial for Dreamgirls and in the background, You're Gonna Love Me was playing...
    But it was Jennifer Holliday's version.
    Strike anyone else as odd?

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Carrie Underwood is the most talented singer to come out of American Idol. Just ask Faith Hill!

10. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

I hope this isn't against the rules. But since everybody is talking about it, here is Miss Holiday.

From the 1982 Tony Awards Show

And this one is a from Radio City Music Hall

11. boots

boots New Member

I haven't seen the commercial but check it closely Slap. The two voices sound very similar.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Saw the original cast on B-way back in the day ... sat in the fourth row ... the cast was sweating on us, no word of a lie. First two B-way shows I saw were D-girls and Glengarry Glen Ross with Joe Mantegna and Robert Prosky (Mamet's Pulitzer winner). You can't imagine the reaction D-girls got from audiences. Clapping? Try weeping.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted