1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dreamgirls -- anyone else have this experience?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Did I say Clay Aiken? I meant that gray haired guy who can't sing or dance.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That may explain more.

ELLIOTT YAMIN GOT SCREWED!

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

And its regular Americans who vote.
    Which would explain Dubya, as well

4. Sly

Sly Active Member

Don't you know that everyone who wins on American Idol gets wildly famous?

Like that one guy. Or you know who I'm talking about. Don't forget about, what's his name?

Losing American Idol is clearly the best thing that has ever happened to Jennifer Hudson.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Being ON the show is the best thing that could happen to any of them.

I was stunned the other day when a station showed the prelims from season one.

My God, Kelly Clarkson was so polished and funny the way she played along with the judges.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There was a youtube clip on here about a week or so ago from the Tony Awards the year dreamgirls was up for awards.
    About 2/3 into is it when Holliday started her performance of this song... I've heard the song a million times since it first came out; but this was the first time I saw it performed. It was filled with raw energy and emotion. If Hudson is half as good as Holliday, it's still an excellent performance....

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Saw the movie tonight, only four other people in the theater so no applause. But I L-O-V-E-D it. Loved it. Will buy it when it comes out on DVD.

Loved it.

And Jennifer Hudson made me get a little teary during "And I'm Telling You..." Just saying.

And I just bought that song and "Love You I Do" on iTunes. Listening to them right now.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Saw the movie this afternoon and enjoyed it more than I expected. Jennifer Hudson has amazing pipes and I thought her acting was fine. Oddly, I was a little put off by her dancing. There are a number of scenes where she's not in close up where she looks like she's counting her steps in her head. She doesn't seem comfortable with the dance part of it.

Eddie Murphy was great as was all the rest of the cast. I thought Jamie Foxx did a great job in a very difficult role. Here was a man that started with a goal to get black artists the appreciation they deserved but got carried away with his own success.

Great stuff.

9. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I may have to go to a matinee two months from now to see it. I get uncomfortable when a bunch of people clap at a movie screen, for whatever reason. It's not like they're on a stage in front of you.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I went to the 10 pm showing, and like I said, very few people in the house.

I guess it depends on how big of a city you have, how many screens are showing it, etc.

11. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I saw it this past weekend, and people clapped a couple of times too.

Good flick.

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Eddie Murphy was the real star. Hudson was allright

Draft saved Draft deleted