1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dream Team documentary

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Coming off his freshman year? With the fab Five's trash-talking rep?

No chance.

While I enjoy your constant hatef%$#ing of all things Detroit sports, Isiah had no shot, and Daly was a fine choice. Looking back, it's a shame Riley or Jackson never got the chance, but oh well.

Laettner was one of the great college players of all time. They chose a Duke guy, with Duke coming off consecutive titles.

If they had to have a college kid, he was a good selection. Especially to make Coach K happy.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Piotr:

That trash-talk rep really didn' take hold til their sophomore year. Webber was a better fit for that team as a basketball player than Laettner was.

Here's the roster for the select team that beat the Dream Team:

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/mdev_1992.html

If they had to have a college guy on the roster at least three of those guys- Webber, Jamal Mashburn & Grant Hill would have been better choices than Laettner.

Looking at that select roster, that probably would have been the Olympic team (with Laettner and maybe Jim Jackson & a couple others to round it out) had the pros not been playing.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think ultimately they wanted a senior. Laettner was the Wooden Award winner. His accepted narrative was that he was a good kid (I know, I know). Duke was the flavor of the week at the time. Coach K was an assistant with the Dream Team.

It really was a no-brainer, based on circumstances.

4. Armchair_QB

I don't disagree. My point is that they didn't pick the best player. They picked the best player that fit the profile they were looking for.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You guys are fucked in the head if you think there was a better college basketball player than Christian Laettner in 1992. Don't let his NBA mediocrity fool you -- he is in the all-time top 10, maybe top five, of NCAA resumes. The maximum number of tournament games a team can play in four years is 24, and Laettner's Duke teams played in 23. For its era, that might be as impressive as UCLA's dynasty. And he was their tournament hero and savior in every one of those years.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why would Webber have been a better choice? At the time the team was picked the only other player that would have been considered should have been Shaq. Webber would have been down the list.

Edit: LTL said it much better than I did.

7. LongTimeListener

I should also add that in the specific case of Webber, Laettner ate his lunch twice, including in the championship game.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Jamal Mashburn?

Seriously?

Someone threw Jamal Mashburn out there?

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

LTL,

As I was reading the thread, was going to defend the Laettner selection for the same reasons you did. But I couldn't have done it anywhere near as eloquently.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1) They did not need a college player; once the amateurism bullshit was flushed down the shitbowl of history where it belonged all along, no college player should have ever have been allowed within miles of an Olympic team, except maybe to fetch towels.

1a) If for whatever self-flagellating bullshit reason it was deemed necessary to have a college player, it should have been Shaq.

2) The best choice to coach that team would have been Paul Westhead.

3) The "select team" didn't beat the Dream Team. They outscored them by 10 points over a 10-minute stretch, after which the Dream Team ran off about a 50-15 run.

11. Armchair_QB

Shit, I forgot Shaq was still in college then. He would have been the best choice.

12. LongTimeListener

Thanks. It's weird -- due to a combination of Duke-hate (of which I have my share), Grant Hill getting so much better and other college contemporaries (Shaq, Webber) far surpassing him as pros, a lack of appreciation for Laettner's career has developed. He has become thought of as a product of the system mostly, a perception that grows with each successive overrated white Dookie. But the guy was just nails when it counted. I'm a little too young to have seen Walton in college, but in the post-UCLA era I don't think there is anyone within 10 feet of Laettner as a college player.

Of course, as it related to the Dream Team, they could have put me on the team without upsetting the competitive balance. But I didn't mind that little nod to ceremony and tradition.

Draft saved Draft deleted