1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dream Team documentary

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jun 13, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Covering them in Barcelona was an awesome experience. What I remember best is going to the mixed zone after a U.S. practice one off day and every player on the team, even Laettner, was surrounded by media of all forms from all known countries. Then, over in a corner by a potted palm, sat Chuck Daly. He was sitting down reading a newspaper, all alone. A couple of us U.S. writers went over to say hello, and he just looked up and started laughing.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Pretty pumped for this. Got it set to DVR tonight. Also recording the Jordan Flu game, which is on sometime this afternoon. I keep seeing that dumb commercial -- Gatorade? -- and it's made me want to go back and watch that game. Thankfully, NBA TV is making that happen.

The GQ oral history of the Dream Team was pretty damn good. Don't have a link handy, but it's easy enough to find. Unless you're Moddy. :)

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There have been stories about a legendary Dream Team scrimmage, with Michael Jordan leading one team and Magic Johnson leading the other. Did you know that footage existed?

Yeah. Chuck Daly’s USA video staff had recorded these practices, and no one’s ever seen them before. The practice footage is incredible. Everything lives up to the legend of how those scrimmages really were more competitive than the games.

Boy, if they played that scrimmage for real instead of like an All-Star Game, I'd pay money for that video.

5. Quakes

Quakes Guest

The GQ oral history was nice, although it seemed to just scratch the surface of that story. I'm looking forward to Jack McCallum's book, which will be released next month. His website (http://www.jackmccallum.net/) has some interesting blog posts and behind-the-scenes stuff about some of the interviews he did with Dream Team members.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

also looking forward to this
    http://movies.netflix.com/movie/The-Other-Dream-Team/70229271
    now someone just has to make a documentary about the Croatian team and we'll have the entire medal podium covered

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Don't get NBA TV - any chance I can view this elsewhere?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Love how the league's own channel is willing to air a movie that might as well be titled "Isiah Thomas Really Is A Dick, Isn't He?"

Guessing that wouldn't have been possible five years ago.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Still preposterous that the fraud Laettner was selected to that team. There were 100 NBA players more deserving, starting with Isiah Thomas.

If I were Chuck Daly after the roster was selected, I would have announced publicly that Laettner was never going to set foot on the court -- not one second.

Of course, Daly was about the worst possible choice to coach that team, too.

10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

It's possible iTunes or someone will have it at some point.

11. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I remember in 1992 when my mom said we'd never see a team like that again.

I didn't understand why at the time, but the last 20 years really has made me appreciate just how special that era of the NBA really was.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And if they had to have a college guy on the team there were better choices there too. Starting with Chris Webber.

Draft saved Draft deleted