1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Draft Kings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 13, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How much did you win?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Lost $20. 56th out of 100 with that lineup. I assume the people who went DeGrom instead of Kershaw were the winners. You pay that much for your pitcher, even 7 IP, 1 ER, 7 K, ND doesn't get it done.

3. JackReacher

Was that a 50/50? Do they even offer the 50/50 games up to 100 players? I've only played it with smaller groups, like maybe 20 or fewer.

I haven't done a ton of baseball this year. Maybe I'll do one tonight.

4. Dick Whitman

Right, up to 100 on 50/50s. The problem is that sometimes they don't fill up. Not too often, but enough to frustrate you.

Today's lineup:

P Tyson Ross $9,200
    C Jonathan Lucroy $2,600
    1B Adam Lind $3,600
    2B Scooter Gennett $2,200
    3B Derek Dietrich $2,700
    SS Ian Desmond $4,000
    OF Franklin Gutierrez $3,200
    OF Jacoby Ellsbury $3,200
    OF Michael Brantley $4,100

Leaving $200 on the table today, I think.

There are some Reds and Royals who look enticing, too, but I don't like playing Russian roulette with rain.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Granderson hindsight didn't even give you an average team?

6. Dick Whitman

No, because Kershaw didn't deliver. It also hurt that there were a million runs scored at Coors Field last night.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who saw that coming?

Would you say if you don't pick the best pitcher of the night, your chances of winning anything are shot? Kershaw was just as good as deGrom, but the Dodgers bullpen blew it so no win.

8. Dick Whitman

I think a lot of people stayed away from Kershaw because the A's don't strike out very much.

You don't have to pick the best pitcher of the night, and you certainly don't have to in a game where you only have to finish among the top half of the field. But Kershaw cost an arm and a leg. That's the problem. And when he only racks up seven strikeouts and no win for that money, you pay for it if your offense struggles at all.

9. Dick Whitman

I had two guys, John Jaso and Justin Bour, go 0-for-5. They weren't bad picks, either. 21.43 percent of players owned them each last night. Aaron Hicks, another popular pick, went 0-for-4.

10. JackReacher

11. Dick Whitman

As I said can happen, I just got the alert that my league didn't fill up. So I picked a new lineup for tonight's games:

P Jon Lester $11,000
    C Yan Gomes $2,800
    1B Carlos Santana $3,200
    2B Kolten Wong $2,600
    3B Yunel Escobar $3,600
    SS Francisco Lindor $2,900
    OF Michael Conforto $2,800
    OF Chris Colabello $3,200
    OF Dexter Fowler $2,900

12. JackReacher

You're a day late on Escobar. But it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he duplicated that performance tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted