1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Draft Kings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 13, 2015.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is it fair to say they've fallen? They just got back into one of the largest states in the country.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Read the article. They hemorrhaged money for a year fighting to stay legal. It's now widely known casual players were suckers and the sites have had to put in controls to prevent sharks from from feasting on inexperienced players. The sites have lost momentum after spending a shit ton of money and their new rules may prevent them from ever recapturing the action they once had.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The image of a casual player throwing down$20 for a daily fantasy play, then being swallowed up by a robo_playing shark, is just too funny.

LongTimeListener and YankeeFan like this.
  4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I was also curious about the "fall" part of these companies. I knew they weren't as up as they used to be, and that some states have blocked deposits from players, but as far as I knew they were still around. Sounds like they could still be on the downslope heading toward oblivion. A merger of the two might be the best thing for both.

As long as I'm not inundated with their commercials when I'm watching a day's worth of college football, I don't care.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Might become a movie:

TriStar Bets On DraftKings-FanDuel Saga As A Movie

---------

What I get from the Van Natta piece: Legalities, politicians and attorneys general are the least of Draftkings' and Fan Duel's concerns.

I question whether this thing can ever be fair, much less very fun.

I just get the overwhelming feeling that the sharks will always be one step ahead.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I just saw War Dogs, which wasn't bad. I could see this being a lot like that.

7. Lugnuts

Oooo, I'll have to catch War Dogs.

What was funny to me is picturing these Draftking and Fan Duel execs lavishing the high-volume winners with perks, tickets, luxury suites (hookers? blow?)...

When good business sense would so obviously dictate otherwise.

Buncha testosterone-fueled oafs.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

DraftKings pays millions to cover shortfalls

The Boston-based firm had an estimated total of $2 million to $4 million in "overlay" -- the amount of the guaranteed prize pool not covered by entry fees -- making it one of the largest weekly-game shortfalls for a daily fantasy operator, the sources said.

9. Lugnuts

Rags-to-Riches-to-Rags in the digital era.

What a story.

10. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/24/s...tasy-near-settlement-with-new-york-state.html

Also ...

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Get your money out now, folks, cuz it won't be there much longer (if it still is).

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted