1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Draft Kings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm sure that they routinely screw people out of the thousands of dollars that people put into it. That would never come out.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Not over the long haul you wouldn't.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Would like to see a study showing the results of people who pore over it for an hour vs. those who just throw up a lineup in seconds. I'm not saying random, just quickly pick your guys and be done with it.

If one hour is better than five seconds (or the minimum amount of time it would take to input the players) them two hours would be better than one, three hours better than two, etc. There has to be a spot where there is no extra advantage gained from time spent.

4. Dick Whitman

Of course. That's the law of diminishing returns, and it applies to pretty much any field, not just daily fantasy baseball. It applies to real baseball. It applies to Wall Street. It applies to your 10th grade algebra test.

5. TheSportsPredictor

And I posit the law applies in this to the one hour/five seconds gap. You're not going to gain enough of an advantage to make it worth it. Might as well just spend five seconds.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

People who have played daily fantasy for the NBA have told me that the proliferation of websites offering daily analysis has cut down on any edge a slightly better player has. There are a few players who are known to win, but overwhelmingly the players who put time into it are going off the same information.

7. Dick Whitman

It's what happened to online poker. Not enough fish in the waters after a while.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bill Simmons was destroyed by his wife a few seasons when they picked against the NFL spread.

Any variable, like a salary for players, muddies the waters and brings the success rate back to even, which I guess you need to do better than to make money at this.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

10. Dick Whitman

Yeah, I think it's a little different than what SP says. I think that there's probably little advantage in preparation until you reach a certain amount of hours and study and know-how put into it.

11. TheSportsPredictor

Now, if you're spending your time trying to learn how the game works instead of should I put Joey in over Evan, or wait, back to Joey, no, I want Ricky, that's a little different. Helped one guy in the article cut his time down 90%.

And it's TSP, just like TOSU.

12. Dick Whitman

More hindsight by me on Granderson.

Draft saved Draft deleted