1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Draft Kings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 13, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not really.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Chef, what match are you playing?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's legal because daily fantasy has been deemed a game of chance, not skill.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Other way around.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I heard you could win a shipload of money.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Rose didn't just consort with gamblers. He bet on baseball and he lied about it. He bet on his own team and he lied about that, too. He was gambling on games he could directly impact as a manager. That is a hell of a lot more damaging to the credibility of the game.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

All of which should and does keep him out of the Hall of Fame. My argument is that baseball executives shouldn't be getting in bed with gambling either (and for that matter shouldn't play footsie with Rose every few years by dragging him out for All-Star games, World Series ceremonies, etc.) It's a bad look for everyone.

9. SportsCenter now has *daily fantasy* experts, which is interesting. A lot of resources will be given to the hobby like the stated example.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The idea that fantasy sports and betting on horses are "games of skill," while betting against the spread or any other form of sports gambling is considered a "game of chance," is one of the dumbest attempts at rationalization there is.

The reality is, all these fantasy sites lobbied for this shit--bought and paid for. And I believe both big daily fantasy companies are partly owned by one or more professional leagues.

What this country, and individual states, consider legal and illegal gambling is so fucking arbitrary. Oh, I can drop as much cash as I want on lottery tickets, but can't play a hand of blackjack? Both are gambling, but you actually have a chance to win a hand of blackjack.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can see that, though it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it bothers you and others. But to say that it makes MLB's case against Rose a sham is ridiculous. There is a huge difference between what Rose did and what MLB is doing.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

So I'm giving Fan Duel a try today. I picked an outfielder for my lineup who happens to be getting a start at second today. Does that matter?

Draft saved Draft deleted